Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some nLite tweaks

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I wonder if anyone know about these there things that I would very much like to deploy :)
On Windows 2000 SP2 Czech build 2948.

First - windows file protection. You know it - move notepad, ping or any other file to trash and the annoing message come in... right? So, how to disable it? I found something that look like this (WFP? Windows File Protection?) yet my attempt failed:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCDisable"=dword:00000001

Second - NTFS date stamp. NTFS save last access time, witch took time and I want disable it. How? Anyone know? :tazz:

Third - TCP/IP priority 1. nLite claim that it "drastically reduce the response" on network based stuff, witch interest me - of course :) Many reasons - from faster surfing to ping in games - all is TCP/Ip related. Now - how? :)

My friend, on XP, using TuneUp 2004 get the windows file protection sucesfully disabled and the register have this value:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d

Yet for me it won't work/help/cause any change. And since he have the TuneUp 2004 uninstalled anyway, it has to be - at least for win2k something else... :)

Hmmm, I actually tried it on another PC with XP SP2 and the results are exactly the same. This simple thing does not work. Something is still missing :)

Anyone?

Edited by trodas, 05 January 2006 - 05:02 AM.

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
How to kill NTFS date stamp

After I looking (unsucesfully for free (no registrations, for christ sake!)) download of fsutil, i read that the 60k utility is included with every XP install, so I take it to my Win2k SP2 from the XP machine and used and deleted when the bite is set:

fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Ha! :tazz:

One down, two to go :)

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
My today findings.

by creating a totally disabled SFC.DLL, and his method has since spread far and wide to sites I won't even mention.

Totally disabled sounds very good for me. In need, please re-read my goals to get rid of CPU, memory and files asociated with the WFP hidden service.
So, I searched and found: http://www.winguides...display.php/790
I edited the poor sfc.dll (change the values "8B C6" to read "90 90") file and replaced it by my way - just rename the orginal to sfcx.dll and copy the edited one, reboot and done. No more messages and stuff.

And then it come. When WFP is "Totally disabled", then Im sure can delete it's files, because they aren't need anymore, right? sfc.exe - manual utility - go w/o problem. However the sfcfiles.dll refuse to get deleted. I got suspicous. Renamed it (always works :tazz: ), and rebooted.

As machine booting and near the end, after login - a silent reboot come. I expected blue screen, not instant reboot tough, the results is the same. The dll is still need.

Therefore is more that likely the WFP service is still up and running and the only one difference there is now - that the recover of file from dllcache or the message when apropriate file is not found is surpressed, but that it is! The service is more that likely still running, still eating my CPU time, still controling me and still need the files I want to get rid off... :)

I call this "solution" a fake remove.

I hope nLite does better job, yet then the question - how to get REALLY rid of WFP, remain.