Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W-XP (HE) in Continual Rebooting Mode

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Last week wanted to use PC in Safe Mode to run AV programs since had not done in Safe Mode in awhile (have Zone Alarm suite, Spybot S & E, Ad-aware, etc on-board). When used F8 to get into Safe Mode, I would get menu selection of "W-XP Home Edition" and "MS Windows Recovery Console".
The words "Safe Mode (in blue) would be in bottom left-hand corner.
I selected "W-XP HE".
Program would then act as if going into Safe Mode because prog would begin to scroll the system drivers, stopping at "....agp440.sys" (I think 440 is correct). Prog would hestitate for moment, then I would get the "Apologize for the inconvienence, but Windows did not start....", with all the start up options displayed again to choose from (Safe Modes, Normal, Start from last known good point, etc).
I could select Normal mode here and system would start and operate no problem. Could not detect any operational problems. If I selected any Safe Mode option, computer would just start process all over again described above.
Used System Mechanic 6 hoping might help fix. Still could not enter Safe Mode. Normal mode still fine.
Had read in forums that Nero InCD (part of Lite-on DVD add-ons) might be factor, so updated that. Still no luck.
Last night used MSConfig, checking off boot.ini to start in Safe Mode.
I now have a perpetual rebooting loop that will not let W-XP start, regardless which start up mode is selected.
PC is Compaq S4300NX. The last hw added was Lite-on DVD writer few months ago.
Do I have to do a "Compaq System Revocery" or is there another method for attempting to fix prior to that? W-XP HE was onboard when purchased PC so do not have W-XP install disc.
Thanks for any help...ZiaMan

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres microsofts answer.

http://support.micro...kb/324764/en-us

SRX660

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
SRX 660,
Will try that this evening and let you know how it goes. ..ZiaMan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you enter the recovery console menu option?

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
gerryF,
Don't know for sure at this point. Had not tried that last night when syst went into it's perpetual reboot after changing MSConfig. I think I could do it before when it would let me in Normal mode. I do get the "F1" (Set-up?) and "F10" (Compaq Recovery System) at the Compaq logo screen. Again, I don't have a W-XP Cd-rom since it was already installed by Compaq on this PC. Seems like some system work ,i.e., using Recovery Console, would be easier if I had that.
...ZiaMan

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Last week wanted to use PC in Safe Mode to run AV programs since had not done in Safe Mode in awhile (have Zone Alarm suite, Spybot S & E, Ad-aware, etc on-board). When used F8 to get into Safe Mode, I would get menu selection of "W-XP Home Edition" and "MS Windows Recovery Console".

Do you still get this screen? If you do, then you can still follow the instructions on the link SRX660 provided.

Fenor

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Fenor,
I believe it does come up at least once during start up process on the way to the perpetual reboot. Will confirm and try solution tonight.

Thanks everyone for the review and feedback.
....ZiaMan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I hate to be a stickler, here, but that is not the right answer to this problem....it may or may not address the safe mode issue, but it will not help him get windows started normally, which is what our first step must be.

He is stuck in perpetual safe mode

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
He was actually stuck in normal mode and couldn't get into safe mode as it froze up on agp440.sys Then he played around with some msconfig settings, the boot.ini file actually to try to force safe mode and that is when his perpetual rebooting started.

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmm, that sounded pretty arrogant (my part, not your part Fenor). Not my intention. Perhaps we can do it the other way, get into safe mode, and then fix it.

But this is what I am thinking

Here's what is going on

When you did the msconfig safe mode thing, you added a temporary switch

/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

to the normal boot boot.ini file

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

which is why you cannot boot.

If you can use the recovery console we can try this (hold on still testing)

Edited by gerryf, 05 January 2006 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am not even sure it is the AGP error referenced in the link that is the issue.

Windows safe mode ALWAYS pauses for a moment at the loading of Agp440.sys service. The problem the article refers to, or at least the times I have run into it, refers to when the system stops or hangs at that screen.

I have never seen this problem manifest itself with a problem error--that is not to say it will/cannot, just that in my experience, it has been a simple hang with no indicator. Again, given the complexity of computers, I wouldn't be surprised if an error message is displayed.

My concern is making things worse, since I do not know that the fix in the article will allow him to get back into windows in safe or any mode. And if it gets worse, I am not sure we can fix it without a repair or reformat

What I am suggesting will get us into normal mode and then we can perhaps diagnose the issue better.

-----------------------------------

In recovery console, after logging in, type

bootcfg /add

Windows will scan your drive for windows installation and should only find one.

[1]: c:\windows

type

Windows will prompt: ENTER LOAD IDENTIFIER
type
temp windows

Windows will prompt: ENTER OS LOAD OPTIONS
Do not type anything, hit <ENTER>

type exit <enter>
windows will reboot

This process will have added a third choice to your original boot menu
TEMP WINDOWS
WINDOWS XP HE
RECOVERY CONSOLE

Choose TEMP WINDOWS in the boot menu
This will start Windows without any switches, enabling us to get back into windows xp normal mode

From there, we can try and determine what else is going on

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
jerryf,
Will follow your instructions tonight (approx 6p EST) and report back after that.
Z.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
jerryf,
Was able to access Recovery Console, followed your instructions to create Temp Windows in boot menu, and was able to start W-XP in Normal Mode. Using PC now. :tazz:
Have not tried any other actions re: the Safe Mode.
Thanks for getting me back to start. Will wait for further advice on how to continue eval.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Gonna be around sparingly next 24 hours or so, but wanted to get back on this one

OK....for now, I want to leave that extra tempwindows in there....we will get rid of this later.

First up, go here and download everest
http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

Run a report, save it, and attach it as an attachment to your next post. I want to see if there is some sort of known hardware/software issue on this.

Second, if you could, start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look in SYSTEM and APPLICATIONS for the last 24 hours...report any items with RED Xs (no need to list duplicates, but anything odd?

Note;: double click a red X event, press the COPY button, and PASTE it in a notepad document one after another and attach that text file

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
gerryf,
Here are the two files you requested.

Attached File  ZiaMan010506Report.htm   314.44KB   108 downloads
Attached File  ZiaManEventvwr010506.rtf   25KB   233 downloads