Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clean my hard disk in DOS

• Please log in to reply

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello people!
I was long away but I need your help once again.
Well I gots a computer from a friend to test few things on it. Then I try to download some programs but it won't let me because I don't have the permission so I go by the admin but still it won't let me change any settings. Well that was the short version.

I need to empty my disk totally.
and isn't the best way to do it in DOS I need all files and users and everything off!
Everything!

So can anyway help me with this?
I tried google for help but no luck.

- Dado -

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Hello Dedrivudd,

So in other words, you're trying to format the hard drive? If so, you can use a Windows 98 boot disk and use format c: to format it. Or you can use an XP CD to format it.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello!

Thank you for your helpl.
This is a XP Pro
So can't do anything without the disc?
it's still over my friends.. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Actually, there are programs that you can download that can wipe a hard drive for you. That is what you are trying to do right? If so, I will find one for you.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I need to get all of the users data etc. off so I won't have this fricking admin thing stopping me.. So I was told that if I empty my whole drive it would be ok again. So I need to delete all files and possibly the users.. password.. administrator etc.. is this possible?
Thank you for taking your time and helping me.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Ah, I understand now. In order to get at the user data, regardless whether it is protected or not, you will either need an external hard drive, or you will need to create a UBCD by downloading the files required to make the CD at http://www.ubcd4win.com. In order to make the UBCD, you will need an XP CD too. But once you have a UBCD, you will love it! It is excellent for diagnosing problems, especially when a computer won't boot. It will allow you to access all users' data.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 January 2006 - 09:43 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a minute...what is going on here?

If you format, your drive will be blank, with no windows on it. You realize that, right?

If your disk is at your friends house, it does not sound liek that is what you want to do

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Oookayy.. :tazz:
But since the data is all from the work place I should get rid of it too so.. I don't need any files I just want it all gone and start from beginning and this isn't possible without the CD..
Ah well I would prefer just doing it in DOS
but if you say that is much better.. well I guess I could give it a shot...

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

wait a minute...what is going on here?

If you format, your drive will be blank, with no windows on it. You realize that, right?

If your disk is at your friends house, it does not sound liek that is what you want to do

Okay maybe it's just easier to try to get the disk..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my point is if you want to start over, you will need the disk anyway from what you are saying.

Dedrivudd

Dedrivudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay.
I'll get the disc on monday..
Tommorrow is a day off...