Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help a computer simpleton....

• Please log in to reply

Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

First of all I must explain - I'm almost illiterate when it comes to computers, I can turn one on and browse the web but when it comes to having a clue about what most people are talking about my face is blank!

Having got that out of the way this is the problem I'm having (I hope it makes sense!)

All of a sudden my internet connection has gone a bit dodgy, disconnecting me every few minutes. At the bottom of my screen is an icon showing two computers and an exclamation mark, saying Local Area Connection 3 - limited or no connectivity.

It's just a blind stab in the dark but I guess this is my problem? Having looked around on the web (between reconnecting and pulling my hair out) I read that an automatic update for windows has caused this problem for a lot of people, but I couldnt find an answer on how to fix it.

Please please please could someone help me, and remember - you need to imagine you're talking to a ten year old who has never even seen a computer, and you get the idea of how bad I am at this! :tazz:

Oh yes, I use AOL as my service provider.

Many thanks!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Slurms McKenzie,

First of all I must explain - I'm almost illiterate when it comes to computers, I can turn one on and browse the web but when it comes to having a clue about what most people are talking about my face is blank!

At least you're honest :tazz:

The 'Limited or no Connectivity' message can be caused by a wide range of things.

Try running WinsockFix; reboot and test your connection.
If that fails:
Please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

I would also suggest that you follow the advice given on this website, as it probably covers the widest range of causes: PCHell.

Please post back if you have any questions;
Thanks,
Dan.

Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dan,

Bah, I've done what you said, and even posted here saying how well it was all working.....BUT

Famous last words, it's still disconnecting as often as before, very frustrating indeed!

Any other thoughts on what to do would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Tom

Edited by Slurms McKenzie, 08 January 2006 - 10:23 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Tom,
Do you still recieve the 'Limited or no connectivity' message?
I would suggest power cycling your modem/router.

Steps:
1. Turn off all computers on the network
2. Turn off / unplug your modem
3. Wait two minutes
4. Turn on / plug in your modem
5. Wait one minute
6. Turn on your computer(s) and test your connection

If you're still experiencing disconnects goto Start, Run, type EVENTVWR, press 'OK', and then look under the System log for any errors/warnings, and post the relevant information.

Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dan,

The 'Limited or no Connectivity' message has gone since I ran the program you suggested in your first reply.

I've tried switching everything off and am stil having issues..Grr!

Here are the errors and warnings I gathered (all nonsense to me of course, but maybe you can make something of them!)

Windows Operating System
Event ID: 1007
Source: Dhcp
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_IPAUTOCONFIGURATION_SUCCEEDED
Message: Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address %1. The IP address being used is %2.

Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error:
%2.

These were the two warnings, there was also an error about setting the time, but I couldnt copy it here.

Hope this sheds some light!

Tom