Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager won't open, Norton won't in/uninstall...

• Please log in to reply

Dorota

Dorota

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay. I think I have a Trojan which disables my Task Manager. I can't install Nortin Antivirus because it says I have a previous version which I must delete, but I can't delete it. Also, whenever I search 'microsoft antivirus' on google, or if I try to install it, it closes for some reason. I'm not sure which word triggers that though. :S

Also a few things I've got which might not be part of the virus; I keep getting random popups, and my LimeWire opens every few minutes (also on startup, which I don't know how to disable).

I've tried countless scans and I've searched the problem on the net and tried to download and few things but nothing works. There are also file the scans won't delete. Please help me. The worst part is that I have a Time Limit (Watchdog) on my computer, and I'd always use Task manager to disable it, but now I can't. My hotmail won't log me in either.

Oh, and programs don't seem to open when I download them. I downloaded like 3 programs, including some Ewido thing, and Sygate Personal Firewall, and they won't open when I click them.

Edited by Dorota, 05 January 2006 - 10:12 AM.

Advertisements

Dorota

Dorota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I went to this site - http://www.dougknox....p_emerutils.htm

So I was able to get a copy of Task Manager and disbale my Time Limit. :l But that didn't really fix anything.

I ran some Norton Removal Tool which calims to have removed all components of Norton or something, but it didn't. Norton Antivirus 2005 is still on my list of Add/Remove programs and it won't let me remove it because it's missing the file instopts.dat.

I also managed to download Hijackthis but it won't open. It closes the program right away or afer a second or two. Same thing happens with a few other programs I downloaded.

Edited by Dorota, 05 January 2006 - 12:17 PM.

Dorota

Dorota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:/ Could anybody help..