Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

password protect

• Please log in to reply

horlor44

horlor44

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have an external Maxtor 250Gb drive and I would like to create a folder that is for banking ,statements and stuff,can I password protect it from from others? .And ,can I do the same on my desktop in XP?
Any help would be great..Thanks in advance

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
in XP if you try to set a password for a folder, it'll create an entire user account whose p/w is the one you supplied. the folder will be accessible only through that account.

if you don't want that, you could try FolderLock. it's proprietary software, but wicked cool. it creates a virtual 'safe' which only you can lock/unlock with a password. all files in safe are totally hidden when locked, even if you enable 'viewing hidden files'. :tazz: it doesn't register on anything at all. hope this helps.

horlor44

horlor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for that,is Folderlock the brandname of the software?also I used to get E-Mail notifications when I got a reply to a query, but dont anymore.Im finding it tricky to find my replys..Thanks a lot

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
yes FolderLock's the name of the soft. still, best way to secure your files is to not let others[you don't trust] use your pc.

as for your notifications, your email service might be sending them to your bulk[or some such] folder, or you could've unsubscribed to your topics. if u haven't, you can always go to 'my controls > view topics' when you login at geekstogo.