Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I was wondering if someone could recommend an Antivirus program that doesn't slow my computer up as much as Norton Antivirus does. Is AVG (the free recommended one from this website) suficient?
I don't mind the cost by the way.

Thanks for any help provided

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set a restore point first, download the one you want from here

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

Use add /remove to uninstall Norton, check it has gone as it can be hard to shift

Set another restore point, install the new AV programme

You can use this in between removing Norton and installing the new one

Get the Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune up disc clean up and then Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize to run Reg Defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

AVG Free is a good programme

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Some say that AVG is sufficient, but personally I dislike it. In my experiences, AVG will catch viruses, but it has problems getting rid of them. I've heard that NOD32 does not slow the computer down, and it is excellent, however, I have not had the chance to personally try it out.

Another program I've been testing recently is Avast! free edition. It doesn't seem to slow the computer down, but I don't know how good it is at handling viruses. From what I've heard, it is good.

rossko_uk

rossko_uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for your help, I just wanted to make sure that by removing Norton and replacing it with a free AV, I wasn't increasing my chances of getting a major problem. Thanks again

bushlady

bushlady

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Another program I've been testing recently is Avast! free edition. It doesn't seem to slow the computer down, but I don't know how good it is at handling viruses. From what I've heard, it is good.

I have been using Avast free edition for a while. I can say it even will track down a virus when you haven't been scanning for virus's for days. All it does, is, it keeps up dating the virus data base. and then you get a message that Avast has found a viurs, and it asks you if you want to delete it or put in the recycling bin. Of course you want to delete it.