Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp freezes after 4 mins?

• Please log in to reply

tuscan440

tuscan440

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
my xp pro edition keeps freezing after about 4 mins of use, without fail, doesnt matter what i use or dont use it will freeze after the same amount of time. first it will freeze for about 10 seconds, then be free for another 20 then freeze for good. any suggestions???
i did download a mates copy of google earth pro but the dickhead had some spyware on their and i thought i got rid of it but i guess it might be a virus of some sort caught.
there are no unusual running processes when it crashes and cpu and ram useage is normal, (system idle 99%), have managed to do xoftspy and spybot scans in the 4 mins, as well as an outdated avg scan but that no longer wants to update without an install.
i have noticed however a process called wmpvise.exe is appearing, and it is running as an application from start up, apparently its a windows server process or something but any help is greatly appreciated!

windows re-install is not an option, have too much music and photos on there and now way of transfering them!

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Someone will come along to help you with this problem. I can tell you, however, that if you reinstall Windows, you WILL NOT loose your data. You will only loose your data if you format your hard drive. You can boot the PC with the CD in the drive. When the install routine appears, tell it to "Install Windows". Don't use "Repair Windows" or you'll just open the recovery console. After selecting "Install Windows", be sure to install to the same directory you did last time. In doing this, you are simply reinstalling Windows. This process doesn't wipe any information from the hard drive.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
oh k, well thats a good to know but dont have my cd till i get back to uni which is next week. the thing is it works absolutley fine and then just freezes, surely this one process can be sorted, i dont hthink im gettin any error messages/logs

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
You could try Googling that process. I wouldn't disable it until you know what it does.

You might also try looking for faulty drivers on your hardware. You can do that from the Control Panel, System icon, Hardware tab, and then Device Manager. Look for any hardware with yellow exclemation points.

If nothing, check inside your computer case to make sure all of your fans are running. If any of them have crapped out, you may be overheating.

If you think its a faulty program loading at startup, run "MSCONFIG" from RUN on the start menu. Click the startup tab and disable any software you think might be causing the problem. Don't disable items if you don't know what they do!! When you are done, reboot and see what happens.

I think that's as far as I can help you for now. If these things don't help you out, know that someone else will come along to assist you.

Thanks

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
cheers but its all in order, i do the msconfig startup trick anyways and never have anything running on startup. thing is it will run in safe mode and diagnostic mode, suggesting that it is not hardware problem and either a sytem file or a virus, any suggestions on a virus scan that i can do from a bootable disk??

thanks, your help is appreciated

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tuscan440...

Click Start, then Run, and type eventvwr.msc in the "Run" box...click "Ok". In the left pane, select "System" and make note of any "Red notifiers" that occur at or near the time of "freezing". List a few of the recent ones here for me.

Then select "Applications" in the left pane, and do the same.

wannabe1

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
thanks but ive tested my comp on many different applications and it seems it was the windows management instrumentation service that was freezing it, ive disabled it and my comp runs better than ever, it also knocked about 40mb off the ram load, got it down to 103mb now at sytem idle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thank you for posting your resolution...it may help many others with this problem.

Good troubleshooting! :tazz:

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just out of curiousity, since you may actually need WMI in the future, could you run a test for me?

Since the service is stopped, delete the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder

%SystemRoot%= whatever the main windows folder is, ie c:\windows, c:\winnt, c:\winxp....

Then go back to services, set WMI startup to automatic, and reboot

I think you may have had a corrupt file in that folder. (windows will recreate that folder on startup)

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
yeh that seems to have worked. legend! have had comp running for about 10 mins and nothin wrong with it, for some reason limewire and morpheus have been refusing to start ever since i disabled wmi, even tho ive enabled it again, but i rekon a re-install shud sort it out.

cheers

Advertisements

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
what antivirus and cleanup programs do you use?

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
avg free edition, xoftspy<(brilliant), spybot and ccleaner. use to have mcaffee which was pretty good but a system hog, and i think as long as ur on top of things and not trying to install crap (mates google earth pro ahem) then its better than an anti virus, my comp definetely runs better wihtout a fll time anti-virus program

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
if you want to you can pm me your e-mail address and i can send you more help to make it faster and clenout more "stuff". The more you have the more you are protected and more algorrithims are put to use and scanned for any type of removal. It may take time but what connection do you have and if you would like this help you MUST have winrar to use the programs if i send them ever.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
sorry pm??? well im ok at the mo bu if you think there is something else i can use then please tell me .
i have a broadband connection through a netowrk at university halls (its sh1t) and is generally 256kbs-512kbs at best!!!

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
pm=private message or im for and instant message. i use about 20 programs or more to keep mine in shape and usually help out some of my cisco friends with them. a couple of them are-non-downloadable unless i send them thorugh a server for you to download. if you send your e-mail through a pm or and im i will recommend some programs and send some that are not downloadable.