Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 98 USB driver files

• Please log in to reply

macreilly

macreilly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to install a new USB 2.0 card. I need drivers from Windows 98, but don't have source disks since Windows was preinstalled on my HP computer--and apparently the necessary drivers weren't included. Any ideas on how to get the necessary drivers to make the card function? I've downloaded the drivers from the card manufacturer's web-site but that hasn't helped. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I'm trying to install a new USB 2.0 card. I need drivers from Windows 98, but don't have source disks since Windows was preinstalled on my HP computer--and apparently the necessary drivers weren't included. Any ideas on how to get the necessary drivers to make the card function? I've downloaded the drivers from the card manufacturer's web-site but that hasn't helped. Would appreciate any suggestions.

First off windows 98 ( either first or second edition ) does not support usb 2.0. THE ONLY way to make it work is to get the driver from the company that makes the card. Having said that if you are running first edition windows 98 you might be out of luck. First edition and many problems with stuff like this. Also if the windows was preinstalled the install files are usually stored on the computer somewhere.... usually in "C:\windows\options\cabs" without the quotes, but sometimes it's elsewhere.... Also some programs overwrite them for some reason ( lexmark printer software comes to mind as one that has done that in the past )

You should have a number on the side of the computer somewhere with your product code.... if you do you could try e-bay to get the disk for windows.... just make sure it is the same as the version ( first or second) that you have....

if you don't know your version do the following... right click my computer... select properties.... on the page that comes up it should tell you if it is windows 98 or windows 98 second edition.