Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Game lag with WoW

• Please log in to reply

ghall

ghall

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My son plays WoW and experiences some serious lag during fast action. I realize some of this could be due to server issues during high play volume. He has a Diamond Stealth 9250 256mg video card and 512 mg of ram. Would upgrading to 1g of ram help. Right now after Christmas money is a bit of an issue but any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. His computer is a Dell Optiplex260 with a 2.66 processer. Thanks in advance.
Greg

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
He might try turning down the settings a little, the video card isnt that fast and the PC is only medium level pc so its not going to run it at full settings or medium, when the action gets fast the combination between the server lag and the increase in the load on the computer is porbably a bit much for the pc so the fps drops down, a gig of ram would probably help in general.

A new gfx card would see the biggest improvement there are a few good budget cards on the market now that would be abig improvement on the 9250 without breaking the bank but that would depend on you having an AGP slot if you dont have that youre pretty much stuck with that card.

Its only a computer game so i wouldnt be in a rush to spend money after christmas, gfx cards make a great birthday present, or you could always give your son some pocket money to save up for the new gfx card or at least part of it that way you can get time to recuperate the finances under the guise of teaching a lesson of financial responsibility and the value of money and so on.

ghall

ghall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you warriorscot....I will now try to find some gfx compairisons and see what we find. We do have an agp slot..the 9250 is an 8x agp card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You have tons of choice then. You have one of the slowest so almost anything you can pick will be faster. Something along the lines of an x700 would probably suit your needs not to pricey but its pretty decent at games. After that one of the x800GTs would be worth a look.