Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Failing to POST

• Please log in to reply

+Dan+

+Dan+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll lay out what has happened first.

Previous PC Spec:
AMD 1600+ Athlon XP
2 x 256MB Twinmos PC2100
Chaintech Mobo

New PC Spec:
AMD 3100+ Sempron 64 Bit (Skt 754)
2 x 512 Corsair DDR400
ECS NForce3-A v1.0a Mobo

It has 2 HDD's, a Radeon 9600 and a 300W PSU.

After setting everything up (replacing the mobo in the case) it failed to even power up, this was later resolved to an unused mounting screw shorting the board out and was removed. After that everything was ok, I had a few problems enabling Gate A20 to fast mode so I could install windows but got past it in the end. I ended the night having formatted the harddrive and was ready to install windows today. The PSU comes with an isloator switch on the back, the onboard LAN was making a noise after I turned the PC off to I switched the isolator switch to off.
When I wake up this morning and flick the isolator switch to on the PC immediately powers up, but no post beep. This was common me for the past few weeks where I would need to turn the pc on and off a few times before it would run the POST. So apart from turning itself on without me pressing the power button I thought nothing of it until 20 minutes later when it still wouldn't run the POST. I always meant to switch the power supplies, which I did right afterwards. Same problem. After getting back from work tonight, I removed everything except the CPU, mobo and the power supply with no avail.

Considering I didn't do anything from turning it off at night to turning on this morning I really am stuck for a solution. Static discharge is a possiblity but I am always *very* careful when it comes to this. Also I am well aware the motherboard may be fried, though I refuse to believe it is.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
With nothing but the motherboard/cpu/memory and video hooked up do you get anything? if not try removing first the video then the memory. you should get some beeps through the pc speaker or buzzer depending on your board setup. if not first guess is either the PSU or Motherboard. followed by bad cpu.

+Dan+

+Dan+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No beeps. I've had a similar situation to this where one of the PCI pins was touching the other side and hence shorting the board out. I'm about to remove the mobo from the case and run it 'loose' so to speak.

I'm a bit more sceptical about this because it was working fine last night then not at all this morning.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well good luck I've had low-quality boards do that to me alot and I haven't heard good things about ecs lately....

+Dan+

+Dan+

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
First and last time. Knew I shoulda went with ASUS :tazz:

It's all boxed up and ready to send back, thanks for your help anyway.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ASUS dont have a very good reputation for reliabilty with AMD chipset mobos.