Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word/Norton

• Please log in to reply

jabdelh2

jabdelh2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Every time i try to open microsoft word my computer freezes up. Then the next time it tells me to open it in safe mode and i do but it still won't open documents, it just says requesting virus scan. I try to run a norton scan and it won't let me. Norton will open but won't run the scan.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SUMMARY

The Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office scans documents for macro virus infections in Office products. This plug-in may cause performance issues, the inability to open files within Office, or the inability to install some Office programs.

For more information on potential problems when using the Norton AntiVirus plug-in, including error messages that you may receive, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
835404 http://support.micro....com/kb/835404/

You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or start Outlook
This article contains the latest information about how to use Office with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in.

To work around the issues that are listed in the “Summary” section, use either of the following methods.

Method 1: Run Live Update

Obtain the latest version of the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in that is available through the Live Update option site in your Norton AntiVirus software.

Note An update to the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in may not be available in all languages.

Method 2: Disable Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in

Perform this method only if you cannot update your Norton AntiVirus software through the Live Update Web site.

Important These steps may increase your security risk. These steps may also make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We recommend the process that this article describes to enable programs to operate as they are designed to, or to implement specific program capabilities. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this process in your particular environment. If you choose to implement this process, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect your system. We recommend that you use this process only if you really require this process.Note An antivirus program is designed to protect your computer from viruses. You must not download or open files from sources that you do not trust, visit Web sites that you do not trust, or open e-mail attachments when your antivirus program is disabled. For more information about computer viruses, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

129972 http://support.micro....com/kb/129972/

Computer viruses: description, prevention, and recovery

When the Norton AntiVirus plug-in is disabled, the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in does not scan documents when you open the documents. Even if the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in is disabled, the Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect feature still provides on-going protection by scanning any file that you run, download, open, create, or delete.

To disable the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in, use one of the following methods, depending on the version of Norton AntiVirus that is installed on your computer.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

Norton AntiVirus 2004, Norton SystemWorks 2004, Norton AntiVirus 2003, Norton SystemWorks 2003, Norton AntiVirus 2002 or Norton SystemWorks 2002 is installed

Disable the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in. To do this, follow these steps. Norton AntiVirus 2002 is used as an example. Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

1. Start Norton AntiVirus. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2002.

Note If you installed Norton AntiVirus as part of the Norton SystemWorks 2002 program, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton SystemWorks, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2002.

2. Click Options.

NoteIn Norton SystemWorks 2002, click Options, and then click Norton Antivirus.

3. Under Other, click Miscellaneous.

4. Under How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected, click to clear the Enable Office Plug-in check box, and then click OK.

5. Restart the computer.

Norton AntiVirus 2001 or Norton SystemWorks 2001 is installed

Disable the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in. To do this, follow these steps: Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

1. Start Norton AntiVirus. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2001.

Note If you installed Norton AntiVirus as part of the Norton SystemWorks 2002 program, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton SystemWorks, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2002.

2. Click Options, and then click General.

3. Under How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected, click to clear the Enable Office Plug-in check box, and then click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

Norton AntiVirus 2000 or Norton SystemWorks 2000 is installed

Unregister the Norton AntiVirus OfficeAV.dll file. To do this, follow these steps: Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

1. Quit all programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Depending on how Norton AntiVirus 2000 is installed, type one of the following commands: • If the Norton AntiVirus program is installed as a stand-alone product, type the following command, and then press ENTER

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

where c is the drive where Norton AntiVirus is installed.

If the command is successful, you receive the following message:

DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll succeeded.

• If the Norton AntiVirus program is installed as part of SystemWorks, type the following command, and then press ENTER

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

where C is the drive where SystemWorks is installed.

If the command is successful, you receive the following message:

DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton Systemworks\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll succeeded.

4. Click OK.

5. Restart the computer.

REFERENCES

For a list of additional Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that describe known issues with Microsoft Office and the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in, click the following Microsoft link:

Click here to view a list of articles http://support.micro...us-kb&lcid=1033

For additional information about how to disable or to enable the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in, visit the following Symantec Web site:

http://www.symantec.com/search

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

In the Search text box, type 1999091612160606, and then click How to enable and disable the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office to locate the latest information from Symantec about this issue. For additional information about your Norton AntiVirus or Norton SystemWorks software, see your product documentation. The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

APPLIES TO

• Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
• Microsoft Office Excel 2003
• Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
• Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
• Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003
• Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
• Microsoft Office Word 2003
• Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
• Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Publisher 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Project 2002 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Project 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
• Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Publisher 2000 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition

jabdelh2

jabdelh2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for getting back so late. When I disable the Norton Antivirus Office Plug-in, Microsoft Word works. Would this plug-in also cause my computer to run slower, b/c everything seems to be running slower, even shutting down my computer. I tried to run live update like you said but i don't know how to update just the office plug in, it just updates everything as a whole. Also i didn't try to run a norton scan after i disabled the office plug in. I think the problem has to be with the norton antivirus plug in and not a virus. Is disabling the office plug in very dangerous to my computer, and if so, should i try another method. I ran a hijack this log just in case i have malware on my computer. If it sounds like i have malware, should i do something else or post somewhere else. Thank you very much

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Office plug in results in scan requests which never complete, and Word documents which cannot open

The options are to disable it to work with Word or to disable it period

You can try replacing live update, go to add / remove, uninstall Norton live update only, download, select run for lusetup.exe

http://www.norton.co...iles/lu/lu.html

jabdelh2

jabdelh2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Keith,
I tried to run that and it was installing and it said that it may take a few minutes to initialize. It froze because i waited overnight and it was still on that same stage when i woke up the next morning. So now i think i have it downloaded but not installed. It says to go to setup to install when i try to redownload it. Where exactly is setup located for me to install it. Also my computer is taking a considerably long time to restart and shut down. Do you know of any reasons for this? Lastly, i am still protected for the most part if i disable the office plug in correct?
Thanks
Jordan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with add / remove that Live Update is removed, download it, save it to a folder you create, disconnect, disable Norton, double click the lusetup file in the folder, it should install, reboot, check NIS is running, check live update works, check opening Word, if no improvement you can disable the plug in

I stopped using Norton, one of the reasons being the Office Plug in, although, you are covered in the main as long as it scans e-mail because exchanging Word documents over the internet is rare for most