Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X850XT AGP

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, im thinking of getting the ASUS X850XT AGP version, i cant afford to get an all round upgrade just now and need some advice.

1) will it kick butt on Battlefield 2, Battlfield Vietnam and half life 2 and related mods

2) is it overclockable?

3)Will it be better than my 6600GT?

Thanks
Dave

Advertisements

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Its far better than a 6600 GT, and its overclockable, Itll tear up HL2 and Vietnam............but I have heard peole running the x850 XT on BF2 and
They barely run everything on high. Just keep ur 6600 gt and wait til u have enough money to get a complete upgrade. Besides u can play pretty much every game on high w/ the 6600 GT (except BF2, i know)

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm....the 6600GT is running real slow on high on BF vietnam and only really moderatly well on HL2, thats why i wanted to upgrade...could my computer be running slow?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6600gt isnt fast or slow its a card in the "medium" category. Its not low end and definately not high end but in the middle. They come with around a max of 16 gb/s bandwith.

The ati x850xt has 34.56 GB/s memory bandwith. The 6600gt will be falling into the low end category pretty soon.

I would rather get a pci express new system but if you dont plan on upgrading for awhile the the x850 agp seems fine. It depends how fast your current system is also. Take that into consideration also.

Cya

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
X850 will do BF2 on high settings no bother as long as the rest of the system is at least half decent.

If you arent going to upgrade the whole system withing the year then get the x850 otherwise just wait it out till you have plenty money and you can build a nice kick [bleep] DX10 system next year.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
The system is prety good all round.

Athlon XP 3200+
1Gb Corsair
Sata HDD

And ill be selling it on with another system at end of 2006 so ill be getting and uber machine.
PS. 10,000RPM Sata Raptor hard drive

Edited by comanighttrain, 05 January 2006 - 06:21 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is the raptor in that machine or the new one. With an X850 that machine will do BF2 on high settings wthout trouble, should manage FEAR as well.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
itll be going into the current one, think itll make much difference? i had some cash from xmas and decided to try out a high performance disk

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not to much they are more of a novelty there are a few of the 7200 rpm drives that outperform it when it comes to actual use, and then the tiny size is pretty crap, unless you get the 150gig one but for the price of one of those you could buy a terrabyte of 7200rpm space. You would see better performance increase from another gig of ram. Still your load times should improve by a few seconds depending on how good the drive you allready have is.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm....removed the drive from my order, i actually think it wouldnt benefit me as much now...[bleep] ebuyer for being out of 3200+ athlons

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, try and find the samsung spinpoint P120s http://www.komplett....=307913&cks=SPK as far as i know its the best performing drive in 7200rpm and 10000rpm. Load times were 30 seconds faster on that than with a raptor on some games. 3200+ athlons are popular chips good bang for the buck so people buy them up, shame they ran out i got mine from that batch they had and its a good batch overclocks well.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
>:-)

96.66FPS on HL2 on highest settings at 1024 x 768.

Only problem is ot glitches when loading stuff, id imagine thats the RAM(its value ram), CPU (3200+ XP) or HDD (cheapy dodgy seagate i got on the cheap)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm you do usually get the odd glitch on the load but if it persits or happens alot do a memory test and run the HDD diagnsotics. Thats quite a low res can your monitor not go higher, you need at least 1280x1024 to see the detail properly.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 January 2006 - 02:06 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
nah, my moniters an ancient belinea...its 21" so im not quite wanting to replace it yet...monitors are so [bleep] expensive

Also, Im sure its my HDD, because it sometimes doesnt flash up on the bios, it has failed during use twice and i bought it from that dodgy shop i always complain about.

Edited by comanighttrain, 18 January 2006 - 06:49 PM.