Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

intermintent internet

• Please log in to reply

ssalter

ssalter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
:tazz: I am currently supporting an office remotely and am at my witts end, i need some feedback on this.
the ISP is Time Warner and they have told me there are no problems on thier end yet the office looses internet access 10- 20 times a day!
they use RDP to acces my terminal server here and have 2 VOIP boxes running as well, the modem\router is provided by TW (zizel 900) and has been replaced 3x in the last month. they loose the VOIP as well but the two are not happening at the same time....I have limited the network down to just the provided modem\router and put the VOIP on a seterate LAN NET address from the office LAN to remove the problem of 3 DHCP going on and now they are configured separatly in the LAN.
could this be a virus issue and if so could i submit a hijack this for review?
:) Please help me out on this one before we have a couple less computers in this world!!!! :)
Cheers

Advertisements

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i wouldnt assume its a virus issue just yet.

first step is to try and pin point which devices on your network loose conectivity, if it is all of them then check to see if you can ping around locally, check for normall network operation like network shares ect...things that do not require the machien to leave the local area network, by doing this you can prove that the issue is not with your pc's and servers.

then you can move onto your edge router (the thing that connects you to the internet), without more detail its hard to recomend what to do next.

Star with the basics, ensure that your machines all have the correct network configuration

eg ipaddress here 192.168.0.x
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.x (this is the address of your router/modem and is very important if you want to access to outside world)

DNS? are you using a reliable DNS server for domain name resolution? try using AOL's name servers

Does the oonnection come back on its own or are you doing somthing to restore it? (rebooting the router?)

How many pc's are on your network?

how many subnets?

how is it all connected together? (are there any switches, hubs or routers other than your modem/router)

ethernet or wireless?

operating systems?

there can be many many causes to a "flapping" network connection, most recently i have noticed that the broadcom network interface card drivers that are shipping with XP pro right now come with a power saving mode that is enabled by default (doh!) so when there is no activity for a period of time the nic shuts down resulting in a loss of connectivity.

the list is endless, it is unlikey that this a virus issue though, but you never know :-)

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thanks for the fast reply.
LAN is set up proper, modem is NOT configurable it is managed by Time Warner, the connection is lost at the machien.. not the router

2 PC ethernet

1 Laptop wireless

1 subnet

ill check the NIC but this happens when the user is logged on...
then the VOIP drops as well..
i know there are multiple causes but am trying to narrow it down and have put over 80 hrs in trying to fix it....goin nuts here.

Cheers.

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hmm, your modem...can it route? is it a straight forward modem or a combined router?

for now, to make this easier, ignore the wireless laptop, wireless is problematic at the best of times :tazz:

lets start by lookign at your ipconfig on the 2 wired pc's so i can work out how your network is set up

*click on <start>
* run
* type <cmd> hit enter
* you should now have a cli shell
* type <ipconfig/all> hit enter

copy and paste the results here for me to look at.

your viop facilty - how does this work, is it software installed on one of your pc's or a hardware device (cisco ?) ?