Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

idiotically formatted my 200GB hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

seedless

seedless

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Well I idiotically formatted my 200GB hard drive.

I donít want to tell you a story, just the point that I accidentally formatted it, but the good thing was I stopped it at the thirteen percent of the format and shut down the computer, so I think I can salvage the rest of the data.

I know I lost a lot of data.

But Iím going to use some programs to recover it.

The point of the matter is that I cannot get the 200GB hard drive to load With my 80 gig hard drive that has the windows XP operating system.

and the tools I need to recover the data.

every time I try to load the 200GB hard drive with the 80 gig with the os.

I get an error ďcannot load operating systemĒ

the 80 gig will load by itself but as I said now with the 200 gig

I tried setting the jumpers to master and slave also cable select and I even tried setting the 80 gig on the primary IDE cable And the 200 gig On the secondary IDE cable.

Butt I still Canít get it to load of with my 80 gig hard drive Which has the software I need to recover the data on my 200 gig Maxtor, without getting the error

ďcannot load operating systemĒ

I think when I formatted the hard drive it Installed windows drivers and files that are conflicting with my 80 gig hard drives loading process.

It is there any programs bootable devices That I can use To force The 200 gig hard drive to load with the 80 gig which has the recovery programs and the os.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Go into bios and set the first boot device as the 80, i doubt youll get any data from the 200gig, you might be lucky.

Also the OS for the 80 gig drive was it installed when the drive was on that computer, if not it wont have the drivers needed to run the motherboard.

seedless

seedless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I appreciate everyoneís support I still have problems loading by 200GB Maxtor hard drive with my 80 gig western digital hard drive Iíve been at it for Just about a Week and am running out of resources and ideas to try.

I have checked jumper settings just about ten times and set jumper settings to every configuration possible.

I have tried connecting my 80 gig western digital hard drive to the primary IDE Cable and my 200 gig Maxtor hard drive to the secondary IDE cable hoping it would work but still get the error.

I have tried every Linux live CD possible but everyone gives me the same answer cannot detect hard drive and or well not show up in the hard disk drive area.

I have been recently noticing that the Maxtor 200 gig hard Drive overHeats when it is on for long periods of time so am Afraid if I leave it on for too long it will melt. I could literally cook an egg on it from How hot It Gets.

I am currently running windows XP Sp2 on my 80 GB hard drive and am wanting to use Easy Recovery Professional, R-Studio to recover my data and also Active UNDELETE That Dell4700 recommended ,but like I said i cannot access the hard drive.

Guys I think I lost my data for life. family pictures, family videos, massive amounts of programs, all gone ,but I Wonít give up I shall find a way to save the day. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well SATA drives are plug and play so you can connect them once the computer has booted up you might try that.

seedless

seedless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Well SATA drives are plug and play so you can connect them once the computer has booted up you might try that.

hey warriorscot

what do you mean by plug and play?

do you mean i should start my computer up let windows load and then plug in the 200 gig hard drive?

woulding that fry the hard drive or am i totly thinking of sumthing els.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Keep i powered up from start up so have it in with the power in it but dont plug in the sata cable.

Plug and play is like all the new hard ware desinged for windows you can plug it in and it will just go because the drivers are all there and digitally signed etc etc.

So when its booted up put in the sata cable and see if you can see the drive in disk manager, worth a shot anyway.

seedless

seedless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Keep i powered up from start up so have it in with the power in it but dont plug in the sata cable.

Plug and play is like all the new hard ware desinged for windows you can plug it in and it will just go because the drivers are all there and digitally signed etc etc.

So when its booted up put in the sata cable and see if you can see the drive in disk manager, worth a shot anyway.

Hey warriorscot

Ok so let me clear this up I should unplug the SATA Cable leave the power connecter on the hard drive power up the machine and then plug the SATA cable in yes?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah might work, worth a try, although like i said chances really are quite slim at this point.