Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton keeps popping up [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mezz

Mezz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good morning,

I am posting this on behalf of a friend of mine over in the States. She got kinda frustrated from trying to solve this problem, which I understand. I hope I can make it clear here. I am Dutch myself.

For the last few days her computer apparantly has been under attack of alot of worms. She mentioned Welchia, Blaster and Gaobot. It seems that the Blaster worm is causing the biggest problems. On top of this she got Randex after installing windows updates. She got all the fix tools through Symantec and she has an updated Norton Antivirus running on her computer.

Now when she runs the scanner there is no virus found. Yet the Norton virus alert box pops up several times and tells her she has a virus and even where it is located and mentions it can not be quaranteened. It looks like one of the virusses has protected the infected files. She was able to temporarily stop her computer from shutting down, but the problem still exists

I know it would have been better to post the location and virusname here, I will do that when she gets up tomorrow. I don't have that info yet, but maybe you already recognize some of the symptoms and are able to give me a first opinion on this.

It would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome Mezz <_<

Yesterday visitors from Japan, today Holland, isn't the Internet great!

Have her try starting in Safe Mode (by tapping F8 at startup and selecting Safe Mode from the menu). Then have Norton run a full system scan. When finished reboot and run a free online scan here: http://housecall.ant...start_frame.asp Finally, try this trojan scanner: http://www.moosoft.com/

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.