Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Happy New Year everyone

A few days back "iviVD" was causing random reboots on my computer. Later with the help of forum member, I realized the virtual device was installed under "InterVideo DVD Copy". I uninstalled the virtual device and the random reboots seemed to go away.

But now it's back again. And another thing I learned from this forum is to check the "Event Viewer" under "Administrative Tools" for the cause/time of random reboots (it's usually that red circle with a white cross in it as an icon).

But lately, within the period of possible time the reboot happened there hasn't even been any red circle "error" icons. So I don't know what's been causing the random reboots not to mention how to solve it.

Plz help, cheers

Edited by chinofeliz, 05 January 2006 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Someone plz help! I think it's getting worse. The reboots come whenever it wants, most of the times I'm not even running any application. There's no ERROR message in Event Viewer, though I attached a capture of it with logged entries for the past 30 minutes or so (two random reboots happened within the period).

Plz plz help this is getting insane :tazz:...

thanx

[attachment=5581:attachment]

Edited by chinofeliz, 06 January 2006 - 01:52 AM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Also just been monitoring my computer with SpeedFan, the temp seems alright, never got over 60C...

And I think it's only an impression thing but this time around (especially today), I feel like the computer almost TENDS to reboot itself more often when it's left idle (yet there were a couple of times it rebooted itself when starting all the startup programs).

Please help :| Thanx

Edited by chinofeliz, 06 January 2006 - 04:04 AM.

westcparts

westcparts

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
:tazz:

Had that happen to one of mine, turns out the power supply was going bad
Michael

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Could you just fill me in a littel bit on the power supply so I can check?

Also here's a capture I got from Event Viewer, it's not an error message but it was one of two events logged in the minute the computer was last reboot (the other one says "eventlog service started" or something like that).

Thanks

[attachment=5584:attachment]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Dsenette, thanx for the reply. The Automatically Restart option was unchecked when I went to see the settings. And everytime when the computer reboots there's no BSOD error msg either :tazz:... thanx

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
It's really wild atm, no more than 5 minutes after I log back on to the computer it'd reboot automatically. It also happens during I write a POST here :tazz:

I ran SpeedFan and FreeRAM XP Pro, the temp and ram are not that desperate really...

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
It's staying alive longer this time, I disabled the auto-startup of MessengerPlus! plugin for MSN Messenger from the startup session, could it have caused the problem?

Never know though, last night I did a full "sfc /scannow" and after that the computer stayed up for quite a long time too but it still rebooted in the night.

:|

Thanx, you guys are so great.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you installed messenger plus...did you make sure to choose not to install the sponsor programs? because all of those are spyware (just a bit of advice)

open my computer > right click on the c drive > properties > tools > error checking....then make sure both check boxes are checked...then let that run (it may say it can't do it and will schedule it on the next restart)...let that run uninterupted till it's finished

Advertisements

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
This might be the beginning of something beautiful...

Since I disabled MessengerPlus!'s plugin in the bg since system started it hasn't rebooted itself yet (yet!).

Yes sir, I made sure not to install the sponsor programs for MessengerPlus! (or any other programs) cos I've learned lessons from those long ago.

I will do as you instructed now, will be back later after it's done.

PS - you know I'd love to believe it's the MessengerPlus! causing problems all the way but it's hard to believe it too.

What does it mean when the system reboots itself without any warnings and error messages and yet there wasn't any "error message" in Event Viewer logged at the time it happened?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...technically it could be a multitude of things...but...90% (or more) of the time...if it's a software reason...then there's an error in event viewer...may not be very descriptive...but there's an error....alot of times it's a thermal thing....but you say your temps arent stupidly high....it could be a voltage thing...or the drive is corrupted (which is why we're doing the check disk deal)

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Haven't done the error checking yet, I posted my last thread, scheduled the error checking (that was after I disabled MessengerPlus! plugin), then the computer screen just blacked out in front of my eyes, rebooted!

And out of desperation, I tried one of the driver verification from Start-Run, can't remember how exactly it went now but it told me it'd do the job when the computer reboots.

So when the last random reboot occured, when the computer tried to come back, instead of the scheduled error checking, there was this BLUE SCREEN, the left hand side of the screen was somehow cutout. But here's the message I wrote down:

O SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in ptserlp.sys (WDM DRIVER ERROR 20e)
ptserlp.sys+7dc5 at F72CCDC5]

Couldn't get out of that screen so I needed to push the power button.

THANX

Off to do the error checking now, back soon Cheers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a pctel modem?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi dsenette, just back from the error check. Left it and went to have my morning coffee (cos it needed to do it on reboot). I just came back and logon screen was there so I just came on.

It didn't take very long this time (I do defrag and error check once in a while).

Any decoding on that msg pop up about WDM?

PS - I keep all critical updates even recommended ones up to date.