Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanks so much Fenor, I'll take the possibilities down and start equiring on it :tazz: Cheers

Advertisements

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Just another thought though - if there was a fault in the power supply, it shuts down the computer. That'd be categorized as an illegal operation/shutdown, would it? And in that case when it comes back on the computer would want to do the check disk error thingy automatically, right? But it's not asking me to do that, the computer just comes back as it does when you switch on the power. Why would that be I wonder?

Cheers

UPDATE - I just pulled the power of the computer straight off the wall then plugged it back in again. The computer started up without asking me to do error scanning check. Mmmm... strange. Why is this then? Could this be anything to do with the problem?

Edited by chinofeliz, 08 January 2006 - 07:49 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for stepping in fenor

and chinofeliz..sorry i wasn't here...but i only post through the week..not on weekends...should have mentioned that before i left....

with the memtest running for 17+ hours...i doubt it's a ram issue (and you're right...there is no end to that test..it will run as long as you let it)...

the power supply was gonna be my next attempt...let's see where you're at this morning before we go too far though

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi dsenette, great to see you back hope you had a nice weekend. Yeah the reboot problem continues. It's strange though, like last night I was using it and it only rebooted couple of times before I went to bed. Yet this morning it was rebooted when I got up then rebooted again right after I log in.

I am seriously thinking about buying a new computer but then again like everyone else I need to save up. Will post a thread later about a new computer I've seen to seek some advice on it.

Another thing, I've been looking around in the computer. And when I came to the "Power Options Properties", I'm sure it was always "Home/Office Desk" but for some reason when I looked at it it was "Minimal Power Management", could it have anything to do with the recent nonsense...? Just a thought

Cheers

Edited by chinofeliz, 09 January 2006 - 03:31 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does changing it back make a difference?

do you have access to another PSU of the same specifications as the one that's in there?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Well, I've only changed it back to "Home/Office Desk" for a wee while now so let's see. I've attached a capture of Power Management Properties showing all my options in there. Thanx (I can't attach captures atm for some reason)

Under Power schemes, I've got "Home/Office Desk"; "Portable/Laptop"; "Presentation"; "Always On"; "Minimal Power Management"; and "Max Battery".

Is that what you wanted to know? Cheers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a laptop?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Nope, it's a desktop computer :tazz:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just making sure (sorry for the random stupid question)....

well...the checkdisk ran fine, your temps seem fine, the memtest passed,...there are only a couple of things left on the hardware side that it could be....

processor
motherboard
or powersupply

i would lean towards the power supply...if at all possible..the easiest way to test that would be to have another power supply to test with..

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Sorry for being late, oh ask whatever you wanna know :tazz: Just got booted and came back on so obviously changing back to "Home/Office Desk" didn't help :)...

I was just going to ask you that. The computer's power supply's plugged into a multiplug among with 5 other things, is that like bad? (Then again it's been running since the day the computer was fine though)

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as the circuit that it's pluged into is stable...that shouldn't be an issue....

by power supply..i mean the actual portion of the computer that manages, regulates, and distributes the electricity from the wall

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Just got booted, sorry. Plugged the computer power into somewhere else. Oh btw, why when I do an illegal shutdown and when the computer comes back on it doesn't do any automatic error checking now?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
"the easiest way to test that would be to have another power supply to test with.." plz instruct me how to do that. Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.tigerdire...5&Sku=P456-4001 that is roughly what a power supply looks like...it's got an octopus of multicollored wires coming out of it that connect to everything inside the machine.....what you would want to do...is see if you could borrow one of the same power rating (can usually be found on a sticker somewhere on the PSU) as yours... and carefully unplug the old power supply from the machine...then hook up the new on in the same fashion as the old one was plugged in...then test it with the new psu in there....

if any of this sounds out of your realm...then do as fenor said and surrender...take it to a local pc shop...it's better to spend a couple hundred bucks...than to end up torching the machine

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yeah, guess I'll have to seek help from the computer shop on this one. (Hardwarephobic here). Could you please tell me how can I fix the problem of computer not doing error/disk check after illegal shutdown?

Thanks and have a nice day. You've been so helpful and kind :tazz:

Edited by chinofeliz, 09 January 2006 - 04:22 PM.