Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD rom cant read cd like b4

• Please log in to reply

Hailbios

Hailbios

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My dvd/cd rom cant read any cd but can read dvd. It was suppose to read both like b4 i reformat my computer.
was it a hardware or software fault???? I dunno wat to do... help me out pls...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
How did you reformat and reinstall windows if your dvd did not read CDs?

I'm asking because I want to know if it DID read CDs for a brief time....

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
wat i mean is tat before i reformat my com, my dvd/cd rom can read cd but not after i refomat it...

-for extra info-
this is wat my device manager shows me when i expand DVD/CD-ROM DRIVE

SCSIVAX DV/CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-8525

thxs 4 replyig to me...

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
What type of CD did you try to read? does it read basic music CD? If it does read music CD(not MP3......) then you need the program that wrote the CD intalled first. Most of CD drive today will read Original music CD in windows build in player unless you droped it from second floor to the ground. I got the feeling that you are trying to read one of those CDs that you wrote let say using inCD.
Your hardware is OK.Obviously it did work for you when you reinstall windows.

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've tried all kinds of cd... original games... music... movies... data... all cant be read... Does the dvd/cd rom needs 2 different drivers to run cd and dvd... So it is probably a software problem is it?? Im sori cuz i dun realli know about computer stuff... Aneway.. thxs 4 replying...

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
So you mean it say " unsupport disc type ......" or it just didn't open. Can you see CD content using windows explore? if not what messege did you get"

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
When i insert a CD, it will try to run but then stop. No msg or warning shows up... n when i go into the e: drive which is my dvd/cd rom drive.. it is as if there is no cd detected...
But when i insert a DVD, it will run as per normal...
this thing had me clueless cuz i dunno if its a software problem or a hardware problem

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is what I want you to do...insert your windows xp disc in your dvd/cd combo drive, reboot, enter bios, set it to boot to cd/dvd as first device....

Does it give you a chance to start windows install....ie, do you see the message PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD
?

If so, we know the dvd/cd combo drive can READ CDs. If not, the drive is likely malfunctioning.

DVD/CD rom drives actually have TWO lasers. One can go out and the other can work, leaving you with a perplexing problem like this.

If it DOES read the XP cd, we know it is a windows problem

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've tried wat u ask me to do... What happen is tat the drive tried to read the CD but after sometime, it start to load windows without asking any qns... Then when i open the e: drive, no cd seems to be detected...
What should i do next?

RedStorm11

RedStorm11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
strange thing as of a few days ago my dvd/cd player stoped playing cd's aswell for no apparent reason.

Advertisements

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
HAHAHA... then i tink we have the same problem... i just dunno wat to do...haha :tazz:

RedStorm11

RedStorm11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i dunno what it is, the drive appears to recognize DVD's but no longer cd's and this is extremely annoying due to the amount of games i play lol

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Same here... I got a original game called "Lord Of The Rings: Battle For Middle Earth" n i is in cd... its very irritatin wif tis... it seems like i wasted my cash to buy the game cuz it cant even be read...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hailbios...

Have you tried uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it automatically during a restart?

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

If so, we know the dvd/cd combo drive can READ CDs. If not, the drive is likely malfunctioning.

DVD/CD rom drives actually have TWO lasers. One can go out and the other can work, leaving you with a perplexing problem like this.

defective drive, i think