Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD/CD rom cant read cd like b4

• Please log in to reply

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
wannabe1... If i uninstall the drive for the device manager, how will it install itself?? is the file needed to install the driver inside the com or do i need the file from cd???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The OS should automatically detect and reinstall the drive when it starts up. The files required are already there and you should have to do nothing but let it do it's thing.

If this fails to resolve the issue, I would have to agree with gerryf...that the drive may have gone South on you.

wannabe1

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ive tried wat u ask me to do and is doesnt have any effect.. My DVD/CD still can't read CD... Thxs 4 tryin to help me out... :tazz:

RedStorm11

RedStorm11

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
talked to my tech guy he said for both of us just to pick up a new one i can get one here in canada for 30 bucks so it should be cheaper in the states just buy a new one.

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I need ur help guys... My windows firewall cant be detected and when i go to the control panel it just pop up a msg sayin "Due to an unidentified problem,Windows cannot display Windows firewall setting" I got read one topic which has the same problem but one of the staff suggest using the recovery CD to restore back the firewall but for me, my drive cant read CD... Any suggestion on what i might be able to do?
:tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For the Firewall problem, download and install the Sygate Firewall from the link in my Signature...it's actually a better firewall than the Windows version.

I'd like to try one more thing to test the DVD drive. Put your XP cd in the drive and reboot (you might check in BIOS to make sure that the DVD drive is set as first boot device). If the DVD drive recognizes the CD at this point...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

If it won't detect the cd at boot, I'm going to have to say I think the drive has simply rolled over and died... :tazz:

wannabe1

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sori 4 the late reply.. ive been bz tis few days... Ive tried wat u ask me to do.. it doesnt seems to work.. The drive doesnt recognise any CD in it... N now i got problem... i got like a number of popup when im connected to the internet.... i tried to use spybot to search 4 it but failed... these r some of the popup sites...
(http://www.onlinesho...rmal/yyy65.html) ,
(http://www.realcoupo...mal/XBDYUS.html) ,(www. a-d-w-a-r-e.com) n more... help pls

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hailbios...

You've got some kind of malware infection going there...We're going to have to get that cleaned up before we do much more on the operating system or we may end up just butting our heads into a wall. :) This may be part of the original problem or at least why we couldn't get anything we tried to work.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here. Make sure to run the CWShredder tool... :tazz:

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Hailbios

Hailbios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
oh ok.. thxs.. i'll be posting in the malware section after i finish my lecture...