Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing IRQ's

• Please log in to reply

magnadyne

magnadyne

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer keeps crashing to blue screen randomly. After a lot of research I find my video card & integrated sound are sharing the same IRQ.
I can not figure out how to change this. After going into Device Manager, the "Use automatic settings" is grayed out. I haven't noticed any place to change it in my BIOS, and PnP is disabled.

-------------
My error:
Error code 40000080, parameter1 89b3b130, parameter2 89897508, parameter3 80548d8c, parameter4 00000001.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
-------------

Any ideas?

Attached Files

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are 16 IRQs on a standard system, a number derivated from the original IBM PC specification of 1981. Back then there were only no more than about 10 maximum devices available.

In the systems of 25 years on, there are more than 15 devices that need or use IRQs. Therefore the only way to be able to use all these devices is to share them. It's a feature that's been around since the Windows 98 days.

Windows XP is able to use IRQ numbers of more than 15 (in fact XP can go a bit higher) but this only happens on a motherboard that can allocate these IRQs and is set to do that when XP is installed first time round. And as its new technology, not all boards can do or support it.

But the error message is generally referring to a driver somewhere that it doesn't like. Either that or there's a faulty piece of hardware in there.

magnadyne

magnadyne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I understand that IRQ's can be shared. However, would it be safe to say some devices share better than others?
For instance being that my sound & video are shared, I find I crash most when I tax those devices most. For instance in a game or in my case 3D rendering. I am not trying to give them their own IRQ as much I as I am trying to separate them.

I have tried just about every different combonation of drivers I can think of, and nothing has worked. I don't mean to question you, as I am sure you know more than I do, but I have heard a different solution for every person asked. I am just trying the give insight on where I have been with this.

What I think you are telling me though is I am out of luck? No matter what I do my computer is going to assign the same IRQ's to the same devices?

Edited by magnadyne, 06 January 2006 - 05:07 PM.