Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Complicated WG311v2 PCI Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply

SlowToWarmUp

SlowToWarmUp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is a good example of me royally screwing herself over:

One day I decided it would be a cool idea to network my Apple Powerbook G4 with my Dell Desktop via my Linksys WRT54G, so I created a new user profile so that Windows prompts for a User ID/Password upon startup. I was having wireless connectivity problems with my desktop which runs Windows ME, but eventually solved it by enabling the WPA security option on the Netgear WG311v2 PCI Adapter's advanced settings. I shut down my computer, but the computer stalls on a black screen, single cursor blinking, the next time I start up.

CRTL-ALT-DEL allows me the option to restart in safe mode, which I do. With help from Google, I figure out the problem may be the PCI Adapter, so I uninstall it with no problems, restart my computer, and am able to access Normal mode (albeit without internet access). When prompted for a user ID and password, I choose not to use the default login and instead log in using the new user profile I created before.

Now here is where I make some pretty dumb choices.

Determined to get my internet up and running again, I reinstall the PCI Adapter and restart. Bad idea. I'm back to the black screen, and so I restart in safe mode.

In safe mode I am unable to find and subsequently uninstall the PCI adapter software just previously reinstalled, so on my laptop I download the latest driver for my wireless card, burn it onto a CD-RW, then unzip the file onto my PC's desktop. Using SETUP.EXE I attempt both a re- and uninstall but end up with an error message: "ERROR 1605 This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

As a last resort, I delete my new user profile in hopes of removing everything associated with it. No luck.

Now I am left with a PC that is unable to access Normal mode, not to mention the internet. Is there hope for its restoration without completely reinstalling the OS and losing my files?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more information.

ETA: If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize and won't mind its transfer.

Edited by SlowToWarmUp, 05 January 2006 - 09:32 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello SlowToWarmUp; ''tis better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all' - however, it might have been a good idea to make some Restore Points before hand.

Have you tried using System Restore to go back to a point where you weren't "royally screwed"?

I've never heard of a PCI Adapter not showing up when installed.

It's extremely hard to troubleshoot in Safe Mode; hopefully you have some restore points, so that we can work from there.

However, try restarting your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking', then do the following:
Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Please post back with those results, and also letting me know if you can do a System Restore.
Thanks,
Dan.

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Try updating the Latest drivers for the wg311v2 adapter if the OS in win xp sp 2.That would fix the issue.

SlowToWarmUp

SlowToWarmUp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replies, Dan and Kate. I tried System Restore but without success as no restore points were available. Nor was I able to restart the computer in "Safe Mode With Networking" or elicit NETSH; are these options available only on Windows XP?

Edited by SlowToWarmUp, 07 January 2006 - 10:37 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry SlowToWarmUp, I'm completely stumped on this one :tazz:

However, I would suggest you try posting on the Hardware, Components and Peripherals Forum. They may be able to offer some support on this situation.