Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a budget computer to sell

• Please log in to reply

foxshox

foxshox

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I'm putting this thing together to sell as a budget gaming pc. I'll prolly try and sell it for about $500. What do you guys think?

Mother Board-62+5=67- ECS 865PE-A7 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135164
Case-30+13=43-Rosewill R203A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX12V 350W with P4 support, 20-pin Main connector Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147020
Video Card-59+5=64-Apollo FX5500 Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814140051
Ram-35+5=40-G.SKILL Value DDR Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model F1-3200PHU1-512NS - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231026
Processor-90+2=92-Intel Celeron D 336 Prescott 533MHz FSB LGA 775 64-Bit Processor w/ Execute Disable Bit Model BX80547RE2800CN - Retail
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819112205
Hard Drive-53+3=56-Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144122
Dvd Drive-38+5=43-EMPREX 16x DVD±RW INTERNAL DRIVE, DOUBLE LAYER
http://shop3.outpost...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
total cost=405 for just parts
I might throw in a dell printer that we got with our laptop.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to improve.. i have about 280 in my bank account and as of right this is 240; I already have possession of the hard drive, mother board, and dvd drive..

Edited by foxshox, 06 January 2006 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
grrr newegg is down, whats the parts?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Eont be much of a gamer at that price but i suppose i will probably be better than most dells.

foxshox

foxshox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
the part names have all been added, grr first time ive been mad with new egg

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would go for an AMD something like 3000+venice , not a celeron or sempron, Fx5500 is pretty useless there is alot better out there even for a budget, budget doesnt mean old when it comes to gfx cards. And youll be lucky of that PSU doesnt fry the system when you turn it on, youll be very lucky to play any games on that system let alone new ones especially with a fx5500 and only 512mb of ram coupled with a celeron, youve made some bad choices for a gaming pc of any sort even a budget one.

foxshox

foxshox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I would go for an AMD something like 3000+venice , not a celeron or sempron, Fx5500 is pretty useless there is alot better out there even for a budget, budget doesnt mean old when it comes to gfx cards. And youll be lucky of that PSU doesnt fry the system when you turn it on, youll be very lucky to play any games on that system let alone new ones especially with a fx5500 and only 512mb of ram coupled with a celeron, youve made some bad choices for a gaming pc of any sort even a budget one.

I used to own a fx5200, and it met pretty much all my requirements. I would in no way shape or form try and compare this to something like a x850 or 6800 but It will do descent enough, and what else would perform at this level for 60 dollars? As far as the processor goes, is it worth spending the extra 30 bucks for the 2.66 p4. The main reason Im going with this case and psu is the fact that based on the ratings, nobody has had problems with this psu. You gotta remember Im not running a top of the line system, and that is reflected with the power consumption. If I had 200 more dollars I could do alot more with it, however I dont so what would you recommend if I had 280 bucks to spend, and I already am in possession of the Mobo, HD, and dvd drive( the hd and dvd drive ofcourse dont matter but the mobo is descent and I have a brand new one, that i didnt buy, which requires a processor with a lga 775 socket)

Edited by foxshox, 06 January 2006 - 10:52 AM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm....When i build budget game machines, i stick with Athlon XP's and atleast 512 of DDR, 100 quid here for the RAM and cpu....27 for a board and a 6600GT will be about £100ish. So thats 227 for the core system and it does OK for battlefield 2 and Half life 2.

foxshox

foxshox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry I didnt mention I am American, so ... 227 pounds converted to dollars is nearly 400 dollars

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm.....jeese thats alot compared to the first thing, i have to say, thats put it in perspective

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but prices arent equivalent here so for example a 100 doller cpu costs us a 100 pounds we also pay alot more tax than you do, although given general wealth differences stuff here is slightly cheaper on occasion although not nvidia hardware its more expensive here, for 60 dollars you could have got something like a x300 or even a 6200 the fx5500 isnt even dx9 you could do better for $60, i had a 5200 it wasnt bad for a cheap as chips card but it was woeful for anything that could be called a gaiming pc and it was still too mcuh money even at a cheap price like the ones you pay now, you would be completely misrepresenting the product by selling it as a gaming pc its far from a gaming pc.

If you are stuck with that motherboard i would upgrade to a P4 more than anything else it will help sell the computer the unintiated to the world of computers still think p4 means something good, and the improvement over the celeron is pretty significant.

The PSU problem isnt the fact that its underpowered its the fact that its a generic, and a cheap generic at that, generic PSUs will rarely output anywhere near the power output rated and are more likely to be unstable and dont have anything near the protection features of proper branded PSUs.

foxshox

foxshox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

hmmm.....jeese thats alot compared to the first thing, i have to say, thats put it in perspective

so would it be worth 30 so bucks to upgrade the celeron 2.8 ghz to 2.66 p4 for 30 bucks?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would say it would, if nothing else like i said just having a p4 in it will help sell the computer as your clearly not selling it to anyone who is up to date on the latest hardware.