Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spywarestrike

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wesleywalker

wesleywalker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am visiting my mother for christmas break, and she let me use her gateway laptop. The only virus protection she had was Norton, which she never registered, and hadn't updated since 2003. When I was browsing today, I apparently downloaded a trojan that has to do with the program SpywareStrike. An icon that looks like the windows updater icon down by the clock is flashing red and has a little pop up window with the following message: "System Instrusion Detected! Dangerous infection was detected on your PC. The system will now download and install most efficient antimalware program to prevent data loss and your private information theft. Click here to protect your computer from the biggest malware threats."
This is obviously some kind of trojan, from the poor spelling and sentence structure. But, I ran through all the tips on your "so you think you have malware" page, and nothing can get rid of this pop up message and icon. If I click the X in the popup window, it just reappears a few seconds later, and if I do nothing, something automatically installs SpywareStrike and places an icon on the desktop.

I already tried Trojanhunter, Spybot seek and destroy, adaware, and all the other downloadable programs on your site, please help.
Wes

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Click the link at the top of the page that says Start Here. Follow the steps there, and then post your HijackThis log in the Malware forum for review.

confrontinglife

confrontinglife

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Advise removed

Edited by don77, 06 January 2006 - 03:14 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
While it's possible to solve these problems on your own, it's just as possible that you could end up deleting a critical system file that could damage your operating system and cost you hours upon hours. It is better to allow those who are trained in malware removal to assist you with your problem.

We are volunteers and enjoy helping people. Please allow us to do so and save yourself a lot of time and heartache.