Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble with burner

• Please log in to reply

umm

umm

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey guys,

For a few weeks now I've been having some trouble with my burner. Whenever I try to burn stuff to a DVD or CD it will normally fail. If it doesn't fail, then it completes but has nothing on it. If i put a CD/DVD in there that i have previously burnt before it started playing up, it won't read it. It will just have a blank screen or it will just have the data from the last CD/DVD that was in the drive that it managed to read. I'm thinking that it might also be an error somewhere in the HD or CPU. Any suggestions on how to fix it or opinions on what is wrong are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi umm. How long have you had the burner? Has it ever worked right? What make/model is it? Have you checked the manufacturer's web page for a firmware update? What software are you using to burn cd/dvds? Answers to these questions will better enable folks who want to try to help you.

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've had the burner less than a year. About 7-8 months. It came with the computer. Yes it did work but its only been playing up in the last month or so. I use nero to burn but it has read the cd's that i have burnt before it played up and now won't. No i havn't checked the manufacturer's site. Its a Pioneer 109D DVD +/-RW / DL 16X Burner OEM. It came with software. Ill check the website for firmware updates now.

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've now updated the firmware for the burner. I tried to read a cd and burn one and again it just did as it was doing before. I have saved a log and a screen shot of the failed burn if thats of any help.

Attached File  Log2.txt   16.86KB   117 downloads

Nero_Error_Screen_2.GIF

Edited by umm, 07 January 2006 - 11:59 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is a possible fix from M$: http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q316529 drive not recordable. Be sure to follow their precautions as you mess with this registry fix.

Since you have had the drive less than 1 year and it came with your computer as OEM, it should still be under warranty. If the registry fix doesn't do it, I suggest filing a warranty claim with the computer manufacturer.

umm

umm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah it recognizes the drive as recordable withought doing that so I think I'll just take it back and get it fixed under warranty. Thanks for the help. :tazz: