Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office asks for disk on opening

• Please log in to reply

ja_1983

ja_1983

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I recently repaired a corrupt profile on a PC running windows XP home by copying the contents of the broken users documents and setting folder to a the documents and settings folder on a new account that I created for them. This semmed to work fine, but when I tried to open office documents I witnessed the following error.

- Opening Word (for example) starts the windows installer.

- A dialog box then opens saying that the feature I am trying to use in on the disk Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional, insert the disc etc.etc. The particular feature it is looking for is DATA1.msi.

Since this is my girlfriends PC, and she does not know where the disk is I had to cancel at this point.

- The process then starts again even if I click cancel.

If I happen to hit cancel before the Windows installer asks me for the disk then Word/Excel/Powerpoint runs as normal. I get the same problem if I log in with other accounts on the PC aswell.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Ja 1983 welcome to geeks to go!!!
you should be able to download data1.msi, from the inernet. rember google and altavista are your friends.