Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media player 9 problem

• Please log in to reply

Graemepeter

Graemepeter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please help guys!,

I recently downloaded bluebeat internet music player, but noticed shortly afterwards that when i clicked on the Windows media player icon, it was the bluebeat player that popped up. THis pissed me off, so i uninstalled bluebeat. However since then, windows media player will open, but will not play any CDs or any of my MP3 or WMA files. When i tell it to it just skips through the CD tracks one after the other in rapid succession, or if it's the files on my hard drive, comes up with an error message saying :-

0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000

. However, Real player lets me play both CD's and MP3s & WMAs, so, i don't know, but this makes a problem with my sound device unlikely, doesn't it?

I have also noticed that media player can play MIDI files, but nothing else. I have tried to re-install, but this didn't work. I can't uninstall, and then re-install as i don't know how to uninstall it, it not appearing on Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. I have tried using system restore, but this not functioning, every restore point i try to put the computer back to, comes back as saying cannot restore to this point.

WadooIDoo?????

G

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there,,
for starters,,,, download windows media player 10. No point in using 9,, if the updated 10 is available for free download !!!
The error message telling you that you have no sound device installed ????
Have you checked in your settings that the correct sound device is the default ??

If you install media player 10 first,,, it should uninstall player 9 in its installation proccess, then get back to us,, let us know if your problem is solved or not.
Media player is a finnicky thing sometimes.
I have had to reinstall it a few times because of similar problems.
A fresh install is usually ,, but not always ,, the answer.
Try it first,,

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When you installed bluebeat, it probably made it the default player for the file extensions mp3 & wma. The easiest fix is to uninstall WMP 9, and the install WMP 10, and that should fix the file association problem. If it doesn't, in Windows Explorer> Tools> Options> File Types is where you can correct each file extension.

Johanna

Graemepeter

Graemepeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1st - thanks for replying so quick!

Problem with MP10 is that because i am running windows ME, MP10 doesn't appear to be available to me.

I have checked the file extentions just now, and it says media player is default for all of them.

I should have said before that i have tried to check my sound card settings by using the Sound Troubleshooter a number of times, a number of different ways - to no avail. I now have no idea what to try next!.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,
In that case you will have to re install windows media player 9.
Go into add/remove programs. On the left hand side of the window you will see an icon for
remove windows components. Scroll down,, you will come to media player.
Un-install it,, being carefull to make sure you havent checked any of the other windows boxes.
When completly un installed you will then be able to download media player 9 again and all should be well.
Media player is full of glitches at times, and a fresh install will work wonders.
Double check the file extensions after the install and make sure they are all defaulted to the media player.
Any further probs,,, post again and we will see where we are at.
Good luck.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
My apologies for not noticing ME instead of XP. rxkevco made a good suggestion, especially since you verified your file extension associations. Have you gone into Device Manager and located your sound card and right clicked for properties? If there is an error, it should tell you. That said, I suspect rxkevco is right- WMP 9 got broken, and a new WMP 9 install should fix it.

Johanna

Graemepeter

Graemepeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi again,

according to device manager there's no probs with the sound card, and i have attempted to uninstall Media Player, but as i said it's not in the list when you bring up add/remove program menu, for some weird reason. When i checked out the support page for Media Player 9, it says you must uninstall it using System Restore, which i have also tried to do unsuccesfully. I also tried to just re-install, but on restarting the PC the same problem remained!

Bizarre huh!

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,
when you go into add/remove programs, the window that opens up , has 4 boxes on the left hand side.
The third one down is " add/remove windows components". click on this box and a list of windows components opens up.
Scroll down the list and you will find windows media player. Check it,,, delete it. windows media player will no longer be installed on your system.
Now you can install media player 9.
Try this first before mesing around with system restore.
good luck.

Graemepeter

Graemepeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
you're being amazingly helpful i have to say, but i'm still having problems. When i open up Add/Remove Programs, i don't get any boxes on the left, just three tabs at the top. One of these says "Windows Setup" and i was hoping to find Media Player in here to remove but, alas no! Does the fact I am a U.K. user mean it's different from yours??

http://news.com.com/...001-957704.html

this link sort of somes up the probs i am having uninstalling it, and is why i tried system restore.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
There are obviously some differences between ME and XP, its been many years since i usede ME.
However,,, media player 9 should still be in the add/remove programs list. If its definetly not there,, then i susepct that something more sinister may be lurking around.

Have you done a full virus scan,, adware and spyware scans ??? worth doing just in case.

This link may be of further help to you

http://www.microsoft...displaylang=enf

Might be worth trying to reinstall again directly from microsofts page,, as in the link above.

Keep hanging on in there,,,, we will sort this one out somehow.