Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library/ Computer Restarts after I

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I am getting the following error message when I load up my PC
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer overrun detected!

Program.C:\Progra~1\mcafee.com\Person~1\MpfTray.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must be terminated.

Also everytime I shutdown my PC it restarts for some reason I haven't loaded any new software or anything for it to do that I have also went to Startup and Recovery settings and unchecked Automatically restart, but when I do that and restart I get this blue screen right before it is about to shutoff that says make sure you check to see if any new hardware or software has been installed or see if you need any windows updates. I know I haven't installed anything and I checked the windows updates and updated a few things but it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on with either of the two problems I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

Advertisements

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Can anyone please help?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
anyone please?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello wadeb_21...

Try running Disk Cleanup from System Tools or CCleaner to remove unnecesary files. Then run the Disk Defragmenter from System Tools.

Next, click Start then Run and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y at the prompt and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation!

When it completes and is back to the desktop, try your machine and post back with how it is running.

wannabe1

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Thanks allot Wannabe1 I will do what you said and post what the outcome is thanks again.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Alright I did what you told me to do ant the microsoft visual c++ runtime error has been corrected however my PC is still restarting when I shut it down. Any other suggestions why it would be doing that or fix's. Thank You

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
wadeb_21...

Do you have any Roxio applications installed on this machine?

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.” "Apply" the change and reboot.

Upon restart, make note of any error message that comes up and post the error information here for me.

wannabe1

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

wadeb_21...

Do you have any Roxio applications installed on this machine?

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.” "Apply" the change and reboot.

Upon restart, make note of any error message that comes up and post the error information here for me.

wannabe1

Wannabe1 thanks again for your help. I actually allready went into system failure and unchecked the box that says automaticaly restart then when I try shutting off my computer right before it is about to turn off I get this blue screen that says you need to check and see if you have installed any new hardware or software or see if you need any window updates. I did what the screen told me to and I still get that blue screen when I try to turn off my PC. Then I went back in the system failure and checked the automatically restart box and my Pc is still restarting after I shutdown.

Oh I don't have any roxio software on my PC. do you have any othere suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you post the exact error that you get on restart?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

could you post the exact error that you get on restart?

Dsenette,

I actually already took care of that problem thank you for the follow up though I appreciate that.