Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system freeze up

• Please log in to reply

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I hit 1 and then it asked for the Administrator password, and I don't think there is one -- we didn't create any passwords for this computer since it's just mine. Now I have a c:\windows> prompt. J

Advertisements

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
They didn't give any names. It just said 1: c:\windows so I hit 1. Then it asked for the administrator password, which I don't think exists. Now I'm at a regular C prompt. J

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh and it asked for an installation number, not name. J

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
whoops, i made a small mistake. You had to press enter first, and R later. No worries though, nothing was hurt. Restart the computer and follow these directions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Windows XP will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, and have your CD-KEY ready if needed.

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It looks like it's doing what you say it should be doing. I have the Key as long as it's the long number/letter series on the outside of the disc envelope.

If by some miracle this works, do I then go back and change back to the original book order (if I can remember what it was)? You'll stay and help me? It says now "please wait while Setup initializes your Windows XP configuration." Is that good?

Now it's restarting. I let it go past booting from the CD. It says it will take 39 minutes to finish set up. Since I assume you don't want to sit there all night, do you want to give me instructions for when it's done? Will it tell me when to remove the CD? Do I need to change the boot order back? Is there anything else I'm going to need to know?

I am afraid to lose you but I can't ask you to wait, so if you could give me whatever instructions you think I will need, that would be great.

And really, can I do something for you? I have a book on legal rights for people with chronic illness. Can I send you a freebie? If you want to email me an address, my work email is ______________. Our website is www.advocacyforpatients.org. If there is any way to thank you, please let me. J

Edited by em-j, 06 January 2006 - 09:27 PM.

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Only 9 more minutes. J

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

If by some miracle this works, do I then go back and change back to the original book order (if I can remember what it was)? You'll stay and help me? It says now "please wait while Setup initializes your Windows XP configuration." Is that good?

Yes that is good.

Now it's restarting. I let it go past booting from the CD. It says it will take 39 minutes to finish set up. Since I assume you don't want to sit there all night, do you want to give me instructions for when it's done? Will it tell me when to remove the CD? Do I need to change the boot order back? Is there anything else I'm going to need to know?

No you do not need to change the boot order back. It is actually better like it is now. As far as anything else you need to know, not really. It should be simple and self-explanitory. I will leave for about 10 minutes, since I am on dial-up :) . I will come back to see if you've encountered any problems. Don't worry. :tazz:

And really, can I do something for you? I have a book on legal rights for people with chronic illness. Can I send you a freebie? If you want to email me an address, my work email is ____________. Our website is www.advocacyforpatients.org. If there is any way to thank you, please let me. J

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'll keep that in mind. I've copied your e-mail, but edit it out of your post so spammers don't come and copy it.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 January 2006 - 09:25 PM.

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
we need to get you something other than dial up.

1 more minute. I'm afraid to look to see if I've lost anything == HERE GOES!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

we need to get you something other than dial up.

I appreciate your kindness :tazz: . But I'm afraid the only reason I have dial-up is because I live right outside the city limit. My family has the money, but there isn't a faster service available to us. :)

Has it finished? Has the problem been fixed?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 January 2006 - 09:44 PM.

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It finished. I'm trying to restore my old settings. My only question for you now is whether I should download service pack 2? I'm going to be way behind on Windows updates, but should I care?

It seems as though everything is working as best I can telll. Do you check here periodically in case there's a lingering problem I haven't found yet? Can't I do something for you? Well, at least hold onto my website and/or email address so if you or someone you care about ever needs a free lawyer, you'll know where to find me. It's the least I can do -- you saved my life.

I think I'll be backing up some files from now on so I don't have to be so scared. I am writing a book and could have lost the whole thing. Not good.

So once I get everything set right, that will be the next project.

You are WONDERFUL. I hope some day there will be a way to thank you. J

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Great! I'm glad I could help you. :)

Yes, download service pack 2. This will protect you from the latest threats. Backup all your important stuff before downloading the updates, since apparently one of the updates has a bug in it. Hopefully they'll get that fixed soon.

I will stay subscribed to this topic for 1 week, and if I don't see a new post, I'll unsubscribe to keep my subscriptions tidy :tazz: . If you have any other questions, feel free to ask in the forums. And you can even send me a PM (Private Message) with a link to your topic if you start a new one and I'll check it out.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You may also want to download the IT version of SP2 and burn it to a cd for future use. It sure saves a lot of downloading time should you have to do another repair.

SP2 for IT

Take care :tazz:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 January 2006 - 10:03 PM.

em-j

em-j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
this is totally trivial and clearly doesn't require your expertise, but I can't get my icons on my desktop to look like they used to. In particular, the ones on the task bar are so fuzzy that you would't know what they're for. I tried adjusting font and that's not doing it.

If this is to trivial for you to bother with, ignore me.

I will back up my important documents before downloading the service pack 2. Thanks again. J

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can order SP2 on CD here

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Ignore you? But that wouldn't be nice. :tazz:

It's probably the screen resolution. Right-click anywhere on the desktop where there are no icons, and select Properties

Click on the tab that says Settings. Slide the scroller under screen resolution to a setting that you like. (I prefer 800 X 600) Press apply.