Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

ie not working but e mail is?

• Please log in to reply

simon harrison

simon harrison

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
[bleep] there
Hope you can help me, you have before with malware.
I have a dlink wireless router and modem with a wired pc and wireless laptop. i recently added a dlink wireless media centre and a netgear san hard disk store. all was well until the addition of the net gear item. this required that the pc be upgarded to xp (home) sp2. upgrade went fine and all was well. today the pc can receive e mail and is on the network but ie doesn't work. laptop still connects fine. the pc is picking up its ip from the router via dhcp but i can't ping the router from the pc. i'm sure this is something basic. i killed off zone alarm yesterday as that seemed to be a problem but all was well after that. i've tried turning off ms firewall and mcafee vscan but still can't get out on ie. i tried loading firefox but couldn't get out either.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i don't think this is malware i ran ewido, ms (giant) anti spyware and ad aware prior to the upgrade and all was clean.

many thanks

simon harrison

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking forum.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Simon,

Check DNS Settings

3) Flush your DNS Cache by going to Start, Run, type CMD, and then type: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS - press enter.

4) Start, Run, CMD - Type: nslookup yahoo.com
You should recieve a similar result to this:
Server: gizmo54ps.bigpond.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: yahoo.com

5) If you don't, then do the following:
(Start, Run, type CMD) Type: nslookup and press enter
Type: server and press enter
Type: nslookup yahoo.com
Now you should recieve a window exactly identical to mine..

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING YAHOO.COM - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C. Please post the results here.

Please copy/paste the results of the above commands.

simon harrison

simon harrison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Dan

I tried a system restore position to prior to the dsm and san install and that restored my connections. I've since reloaded the dsm and ms a/spyware (or firewall can't remember which) reported a security level change so low I wouldn't even be on a local intranet. I stopped the change from taking place and all seems well now.

Thanks for the respones and info; I'll keep it for any future network problems.