Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB JumpFlash thumb drive not working

• Please log in to reply

GAP

GAP

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a new Centrios 512Mb USB JumpFlash thumb drive, it works just fine on my work computer, but I cannot access it at home. It shows up in the device manager, but when I try to open it, it says "Disk in Drive F: is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?", even when there are files stored in it.

When I try to format it at home, I get a message that "Unable to complete format" or something to that effect. Once again, at work I can format the drive just fine, move files in and out at will.

I format the drive as FAT32, and then when I get home, the properties tab says that the format is RAW.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem? Drivers? Security Settings?

Please help.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G, GAP. Sorry for the delay in replying to your topic.

Are you running the same OS on both machines & did you install any 3rd party drivers or software for the jump drive on either machine?

GAP

GAP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
XP at home and at office. Fully updated for both of them. Both now have the same updated drivers for the USB ports.

I had a similiar problem with a Fuji Finepix as well, but my new Canon camera works just fine.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm. Maybe there is some sort of security system that prevents you using the jump drive on another machine although that would seem to defeat the object of having a flash drive to start with!

Do you know if both machines use the same USB version? i.e USB v1.1 or v2.0?

GAP

GAP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
As far as I can tell, they both use the same USB 2.0.

What security settings would I look for?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If security settings are an issue, I'd imagine that the security feature would have been installed either as a seperate 3rd party utility or as part of the jump drives driver. Do you have anything like this listed in your programs menu on the Start Button?

Also, if you connect the jump drive to the office PC & look in XP's disk manager (control panel->admin tools->computer management->disk management), assuming the drive appears there, what does D/M report about it, other than the fact its FAT32?

GAP

GAP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Seems to be working now after I formatted in NTFS.

I read all sorts of things on the internet that I shouldn't format the flash drive in NTFS, that I should use FAT or FAT32. Why is this? Why does only NTFS work? Is there anything I should be aware of or any potential problems with using NTFS?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Basically NTFS is slightly better than FAT but only Windows systems will be able to read from it if the system is still in defaults. So if you had say a linux server or workstation you would have to get drivers for the drive and NTFS before you could read from it. NTFS is also mostly intended fro use with slightly larger drives.

Have you tried formatting it back to FAT32 and seeing if it would work, sometimes things like that will fix it, i would be curious to find out.

GAP

GAP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I haven't tried that, and I am thinking I will let well enough alone. All my computing is on Windows systems, so I should be fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just to add to Warriorscot's explaination...
Apart from non-Windows systems, also Windows 9x platforms will not recognise the NTFS file system either. This clearly isn't going to be a problem for you though as both machines run on XP.

That's the only reason I can think of for people recommending that you use FAT32 instead.

GAP

GAP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks a bunch for your help Samm.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :tazz:

sh2121

sh2121

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys. i was going to start a new thread but since im having the exact same problem mentioned on this thread i figured id see if anyone here can help me first. im not too familiar with the differences between NTFS & FAT, but basically my pc is doing the same thing mentinoned here where I cant format my usb drive in FAT; only NTFS....now from what i understand, i can format a usb card in NTFS, but what about a mini SD card to use on my cell phone? when i format the card through my phone im assuming it formats it in FAT, correct? because when i try to run the SD card when my drive is formatted in NTFS, none of the folders show up (as it used to when i ran the card when my drive was formatted in FAT). so basically, is it ok to use my sd card through NTFS? any thoughts?

sh2121

sh2121

• Pip
  • 8 posts
oops, just noticed the forum rules advising that every new question have its own thread...so ill repost this in anew thread...sorry.