Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost cd burner and dvd drives

• Please log in to reply

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Had problems with a pioneer dvd burner in my computer, so i took it out and installed it into father in laws computer and same thing not working, but now that i installed his back into his computer now nothing is showing up in device manager or my computer, for some unknown reason his computer will not pick up his drives. spoke with a dell rep and they had me do some things and still no go. not sure what else to do, they have power and everything just this computer will not recognize either of them any help would be great.....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what did they have you do?

My first inclination is the jumpers are configured wrong on the drives...did you check that?

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok they had me do the clear NVRAM and then they had me do the restore defaults, the drives jumpers are the same as they were when i took them out, all i did was take his out put my burner in to check it and put his right back in and notta....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is there an option in BIOS to search for drives? Can you select CD versus Automatic versus harddrive?

DId you connect it to the exact same cable in the exact same place on the cable?

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no i was doing some research on that also and i was told to change the sec drive 0 to auto but then when i tried its only showing atapi device and wont let me change a thing, i've been reading in these forums about the cdgone patch and im gonna shut dow and restart and see if this works but if not ill be back, either way ill post and let you know.......thanks for helping out

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
installed cdgone and still no luck getting computer to read drives

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
also did hijack this and these are the results

Edited by ftaspecop, 06 January 2006 - 06:20 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
PLEASE do not post hijackthis logs in this forum unless a trusted tech asks you to, and if someone asks you to, save it as an attachement and attach it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
services.msc
enter

look for
Creative Service for CDROM Access
If you find it, double click it and choose DISABLE under start up services, then OK, OK, then reboot.

When your PC starts, is the drive seen by your bios setup routine? (when it lists the drives)...if your PC does not show the memory count up and hardware recognition process, please enter bios and turn off the splash screen

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry about posting the thread, deleated and now im trying the step you told me to do, i will let you know in a bit

ftaspecop

ftaspecop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
did what you said to do and still no luck at all....