Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Burner suddenly isn't recognised

• Please log in to reply

Beccy

Beccy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there! I'm running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2. I have a normal cd-rw disk drive and i also have a cd-rw/dvd-rw drive, both of which have been running fine together for years now. All of a sudden my computer has now chosen to not recongise the cd-rw/dvd-rw disk drive. I've tried system restore but this hasn't worked. I've checked inside the computer and no cables are loose. If anyone has any ideas, I would be very very grateful, it's really getting me down as to why I can't get it working.

Many thanks, Beccy :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is a possible fix from M$.
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for that austin_o very much appreciated, I shall have a look now.

It's very weird cos the computer recognises that the drive is there, it even says it's working properly but the drive doesn't recognise any disks when put into it. Any ideas please?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The way you described your problem "my computer has now chosen to not recongise the cd-rw/dvd-rw disk drive" led me to think the computer did not see the drive in my computer or disk managment. This is what the registry fix from M$ fixes. So, you can see the drive in my computer, device manager and disk management, it just does not read any media you put in the drive, is this correct?

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes that's correct. Sorry I didn't mean to mis-lead, I'm just so frustrated with the problem now, I just want to sort it.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, a few more questions. What happens when you put in a cd, like an audio (music) cd, does it play? Can you hear the drive spinning? Do you get any error messages?

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I put in a audio cd or a dvd nothing happens at all. The drive doesn't even spin and I don't get any error messages. In My Computer it just says 'insert disk'. The green light on the drive flashes when i open up the drive to say it's doing something but doesn't do anything when a disk is inserted.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
When you look at the drive in device manager (go to start, my computer, right click properties hardware tab, then click on device manager) do you see the drive there? Is there a yellow ! next to it? If you right click on the drive in device manager, view properties, does it say the device is working properly?

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The drive is there in device manager and there is no yellow ! next to it. It says the device is working properly. I've tried doing the troubleshoot, but it's no help what so ever I'm afraid.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, lets look at another angle. If you put a cd or dvd in the drive, and then open my computer, do you see the drive there? If you try to access the drive and read from the cd/dvd, what happens? Do you get any error message?

Advertisements

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If I put a cd or dvd in the drive and go to my computer, the drive is there but it hasn't recognised the disk. If I click on the drive it just says 'insert disk'. There are no error messages, that's why it's so confusing.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could removing the device from device manager, then re-boot and let windows detect and reinstall the drive.

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I removed the device from the manager and windows automatically detected it when re-booted and installed it again but it's made no difference I'm afraid. The drive still won't recognise any disks put into it. Could it be something to do with the laser reading the disks?

I'm just hoping that if I get a new cd/dvd drive that it'll work perfectly.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yea, it could be the laser failed. That has happened to me and the solution is to replace the drive.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Try to:
-shut your machine, unplug from the wall, open the case, pull all the wires of the drive.
-Reboot without the drive
-Shut down.......................................again, wire every thing back.
-Reboot
By doing this, I did bring back my dvd drive one. I think the your drive is quitting. All this only try to give it a last shock. If you still can't wake it up go buy another one. they are farely cheap now.
Give it a shot.