Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error trying to log on

• Please log in to reply

jackie823

jackie823

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
After experiencing problems with my computer (missing icons, changing background) I called Dell Tech Support and they suggested that I run the chkdsk /r utility using my Windows 2000 recovery CD. After running the program, I rebooted the computer, and when I attempted to log on, I received the following message:

userinit.exe-Ordinal not Found:
The ordinal 175 could not be located in the dynamic link library USERENV.dll

I called tech support back and they suggested I try and run the repair from the Windows 2000 CD again, which I did, but it is still not working.

I can hit "ok" to the error message, but then nothing happens. If I press ctrl-alt-delete and attempt to start explorer.exe from the task manager, I get an error message saying explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.

I've searched online and the solution that many people suggest is to get a copy of userinit.exe and USERENV.dll from working computers to copy to the hard drive, but since I cannot get access to the hard drive, I'm unsure of how to do this. I've also tried booting into safe mode to try and repair this, but I receive the same message.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does this apply to safe mode or safe mode with networking

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The error message pops up when I try to log on in either safe mode or safe mode with networking. However, I am able to hit "ok" when the computer is in safe mode, and then continue to log onto the system. I just logged on under safe mode with networking, and attempted to delete the file USERENV.dll and replace it with another version from a working computer, however it says the file cannot be deleted because it is in use by Windows.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For this type you will probably get on better with copy, then copy to the location and select overwrite

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried copying and pasting, and I get an error message that says "cannot create or replace USERENV: The specified file is being used by Windows"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it in safe mode or click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, with XP you would get a blue progess bar and you would reboot when the bar goes, 2000 should do the same, you will need the 2000 CD

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did try the copy and paste in safe mode (with networking), and that is when I got the error message about the file being in use. I just attempted to run sfc/scannow, and I got an error message saying "Cannot find the file 'sfc/scannow' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. I typed in sfc/scannow in the run window (in safe mode).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
sfc space /scannow to give sfc /scannow

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Oops-ok I typed in sfc /scannow except nothing happened-no blue progress bar after I hit enter. I'm still in safe mode-because that's the only way I can get explorer to start. I also have the Windows 2000 CD if necessary.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You either need to use safe mode with networking for the CD Drive to run or consider an in place repair

Advertisements

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am using safe mode with networking, and I have the Windows 2000 CD in the cd-rom drive when I type in sfc /scannow. Should I be doing something different?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, try these

http://www.windowsre...airno/index.htm

http://www.windowsre...airno/index.htm

http://www.windowsre...tipageindex.htm

This will be as quick as chasing files that won't load

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, I'm trying the Windows repair and I was able to get through all of the instructions, and then I got the following message:

"The following value in the .SIF file that Setup uses is corrupted or missing:
Value 0 on teh line in section (SourceDisksFiles) with key "winhttp.dll."

Setup was unable to copy the file winhttp.dll.

To skip this file, press ESC
To quit setup, press F3"

Is it ok to skip the file?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the only option to continue the install

Have you got another 2000 CD which you can borrow to use with your product key

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes I do-should I try quitting and restarting with another Windows 2000 cd?