Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X800GTO2 OR 6800GS

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, i cant find any direct comparisons but my friend needs a new graphics card.

Its either the X800GTO2 or the 6800GS.

Im thinking the X800GTO2 due to overclockability, but my friend isnt much of a geek, so im being swayed towards the GS too. Plus he likes battlefield, except the GS is more expensive so...you can see why im stuck.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The GTO2 is the only card where there has been any signifcant amount of people flashing it up to a higher spec, it can be flashed to an x850 which is much better than any 6800. And the price is enough to sway me anyway.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah...and the X850XT can be put up to the grade of a 850XT PE....hmmmm...i heard you get a good OC on the GS too tho

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but its allready running at very high speed just to compensate for its 12 pipelines, if you could get the extra pipelines on the GS unlocked that would be great but it would really by some kind of quazi 7800GT if you did that.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmm...i read about getting the old GF2MX to act like a quadro by doing something like that....any idea how to do it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You flash the bios to that of another card using either the plain bios or a modified bios. Although if you are getting a GTO2 you want to phone and make sure the batch is the right batch apparently they substitued the R480 12 pipeline GTO2s for 16 pipeline R430s gto2s so they are slow x800xl.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ever done it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Me, no ive never had to always just got the card that was the good one, but there isnt many cards that have been able to do it, but these days they try to cut down on costs and its cheaper to modify a bios than it is to creat new cards from scratch so there has been a few cards able to do it.

Mostly the ATI cards as they have such a huge range of cards and they have the cheap prices. I cant think of an nvidia thats been able to do it apart from the one you mentioned. These will probably be the last cards you can flash to get the extra pipelines as the next generation of cards will be using a different architecture to match up better with DX10.

Theres a hard core elite of people that do that kind of thing, you need to look around for the info, but be prepared to put up with the 1337 folk with the computer snobbery the kinda guys that do it are a bit full of themselves in my opinion its why i dont use other hardware forums as much because they are full of people like that.

Its not an overly complicated job once you get hold of the correct bios, you just need balls of steel because any bios flash is dangerous but gfx cards arent desinged to have it done very often and not with different bioses so there is a slightly bigger risk and obviously it voids any warranty.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Just look on google for flashing bioses for whatever card you want.

There is many forums. I have flashed my 6800gt to 6800ultra before and back to gt a couple of times. If the core clock speed and the memory clock speed of the new bios is going to be higher that your current card, you should get a new gpu cooler.

Look into zalman or arctic cooling.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I thought nvidia physically prevented the GTs from being able to do that on all but the first few runs of the GTs?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
No, you can flash any 6800gt to a 6800 ultra with a flashing program and then you have to download the bios and put it onto a floppy then get a bootup disk to get you to a command prompt. There is wfflash and nvflash.

Wfflash is made by leadtek. Some bioses dont work with wfflash so you can use nvflash. I only use wfflash, it does fine for me and is easy.

I wouldnt recommend flashing the gt to the ultra now that I have done it. The temperatures stay high in games, even with an aftermarket cooler. A good cooler helps the gt alot as long as you dont flash the bios. You can gain 60+ Mhz on the core clock alone. On the memory anywhere from stock 1.00 ghz to with the arctic cooler 1.20 Ghz. I just usually keep the 6800 gt bios and up the core clock from 350 stock mhz to 400mhz/1.00 ghz.