Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer,exe error

• Please log in to reply

Bluefox

Bluefox

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guy's, i was wondering if you can help me sort a friends pc out, they are in the US and i'm uk so i cant get there and am stumped, maybe you guy's will hit it on the head.

They are running windows 2000 and now all they have is a desktop, if they try to run anything they get an error, "explorer.exe has an error and windows is shutting it down", hence i cant get them to get into any folders, programs or anything, as far as i know they have dos, but i dont know dos commands very well also they are running Kazzaa (yeah i know, i laughed when they said it). i have tried to get firefox installe so we can at least get internet but explorer wont let them because it fails and they cant open the install folder, i will try to remote into their PC later and will return with more info and what i find later

Is it salvagable?, i am seriously thinking not

any ideas and thanks

Blue

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Safe mode work? If so, it is likely malware.

If not, a windows repair with the win2k pro disk would likely restore the system to functionality

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=238359

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i appreciate the fast response, safe mode, unfortunatly they dont know, i just phoned them an found out they havent tried it yet (my fault i should of checked) they are trying now and i will know in 15 mins.

as for the installation disc's i know they no longer have them as they have had the machine a while, ( i think they wind a handle up on the side to start it, lol ) so they either missplaced or never had

will reply again in a few mins

Blue

Bluefox

Bluefox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok joy, we have safe mode, not sure how accessible but it is there

what would you suggest?

Blue