Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Academic software

• Please log in to reply

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Hi there I have a few questions about academic software

1. Would you be able to use academic software purchased during school, even after you have graduated from post-secondary school or no longer in school?

2. Could academic software be used for commercial purposes (I read that it could @ about.com but wanted to make sure)

3. Are there any websites that offer academic software to Canadian students? Most of the sites I found are only for students in the US. Or are academic software only available to students in the US :tazz:

And a related questions, how is it that there are so many OEM software on ebay for a fraction of the retail price? Isn't it illegal to sell OEM software without accompanying hardware?

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
1. I don't see why not

2. no, I don't think so.

3. i'm not sure on this one. You can try contacting a local school/college and asking them.

Edited by Numb Remxed, 06 January 2006 - 06:20 PM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Thanks for the fast reply :tazz:

But I'm still wondering (for question #1), if you are no longer a student, is it really legal to use the academic version of a software? Shouldn't the "ex-student" go purchase the regular version of the software?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
i don't really see why not.. as long as it's for personal use only.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent to bothered if tis just for you. All this depends on the software in question, what is it you are looking for.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As per the Microsoft Homepage concerning Acedemic versions..

Q. Once I'm no longer a student or teacher, can I continue to use Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003?
A. Yes.

Licensing Restrictions
Microsoft grants licensing rights for Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 with the following restrictions:

• You're restricted to using this product for non-commercial (non-revenue-generating) use.

As for getting it in Canada, did you try going to the microsoft.ca website and searching??

Murray

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

As for getting it in Canada, did you try going to the microsoft.ca website and searching??

The software I had in mind is actually not a Microsoft product, I don't know if microsoft.ca will really give me any information :tazz:

All this depends on the software in question, what is it you are looking for

I'm looking for Adobe Creative Suite, or Adobe Design bundle. Although, I'm not looking to buy them right now, this is for the future, since I can't exactly afford any of them right now :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is some freeware alternatives you might try, look on Cnet.com i find they have alot of stuff in the categories thats good.

What specifically are you wanting to do with it, is it image editing and drawing? if it is you might try the gimp software its just as good as adobe apparently, for most software there is usually an equally good free alternative these days only differences are usually in the general polish put on the way the software looks thats about it.