Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

get to know your comrades

• Please log in to reply

Guest_the_tiddler -=(T)=-_*

its time for show and tell......tell us a little about your self and any interesting stories you'd like to tell
the perfect opportunity to share a thought with your second family and get to know them as a person and not just as a computer alias, become not just a forum but a community, we are all here for similar reasons but all followed a seperate path....think of it as a series of LOST.....barrand on a once deserted forum with nothing to do but find why were here what is our purpose, our special skill maybe to save others from malware maybe a wizard on gaming problems....oh yeh and get to know your fellow marooners while your at it. have fun :tazz:

sorry got a little carried away there :) -=(T)=-

Advertisements

maybe as this is my topic i should go first...here goes

name: adam
alias :the_tiddler
level/position: member
favourite forum/most active in: off topic
avatar: snoopy.......because my first ever teddy bear was a snoopy..still have it know :tazz: and the computer for obvious reasons
favourite pasttime: karate
music type: all genres exept heavy rock and grime
hoping to be (occupation): walfare officer in the navy

more will be revealed as the series unfolds :)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
fleamailman, Swiss, helping out in a computer repair shop while here in Geneva for fun, but mostly now living in England as my parents are very old, no computer, nor broadband, nor Internet cafe there so now I am making the most of this week. Outside cold but no snow. Right now I am making a big collection of photos of places my parents know hoping that it brings back some nice memory for them. I think everyone here is doing a great job.

glad to see you fleamailman :) .....off topics been kinda bland and slow moving without you........i think its getting kinda hard to create a topic, cause if i create one thats allready been done before it gets closed down :) i feel this is unneccesary as we get new members all the time (who will bring with them different views)..all im doing by reinventing a topic is givng these people the chance express their oppinion on these subjects. thnx for your input see u around :tazz:

-=(T)=-

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So do you want to be warfare or a welfare officer.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
No choice really, those Old age homes cost a thousand pounds a week and are vrey much the last resort, besides, if something happens it falls on me anyway. Modern society seems to skip around ths problem, I mean where on MTV does one see something like "Yer it's really cool looking after the old folks", no, modern society pugs mobility and choice but old people lose that, dependng on balance between the family the welfare state and what money they have. Society looks the other way, the old fend for themselves until they can't and then all sorts of problems occur because there is no will, or noone has been given power of auterny to act on behalf of them, or all the family members offer up excuses like distance and other family commitments etc, I will stop here but these last two months have been quite a eyeopener towards something one doesn't normally think about.

warfare officer......my bad :tazz:

-=(T)=-

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thought it might be that, the navy has both so i thought i would be sure, now i can laugh at you properly, HAHAAHHAHAHAHA.

Sorry had to do that, tradition you know. Just mind and get your soap put on string, lol.

ohh the laughs.

the'll probably strangle me with the string instead....afterall one of the qualities of a navy officer is to be resourcefull :tazz: :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, still dont get how people dont go insane in the navy, 6 months in a big metal box eating nothing but tinned food, and it only gets worse if you go into a sub.

Im weird in that i love ships(its the engineer in me) but i hate the sea cant stand it im a strong swimmer im not afraid of water or anything i just dont like the sea. I would go mad on a boat, and i have this irrational fear of drowning i could never do the test where they roll under water in the fuselage of the sea king or the 100m dive tank where you go from the bottom to the top and it takes two minutes could never do that in a million years.

Give me my planes anyway its the reason i didnt join the sea cadets when i was younger they do that crap as well, Air cadets was much better none of the scary crap but i got to fly a plane.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 January 2006 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

Elia

Elia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I thought I'd say Hi.I'm a nurse in the Uk, in my 30s and a bit of a technophobe at times
I've been coming here for a couple of years ; whenever i have a problem, or if I've forgotten the name of a tool.
I've just never had to post before. I've always found the solution in someone else post.
So thanks folks, you no doubt help many more people than you realise: and I for one am very grateful.
:tazz:

let me be the first to welcome you as a registered member :tazz: , i wouldnt call you a technophobe i mean youve handled the writing font ,size,colour and even thrown in a smiley for good measure...even that takes some knowledge and confidence in your IT skills........also thnx for reminding me what the topic was initially about....kindda got side tracked :) .

as for warriorscott, ,i have a mild case of vertigo and would never dream of flying a plane, thants why i went for the sea bearring option. :)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Wariorscot, I am to opposite, love the sea, feel great on boats, can't stand planes though, I have had in order of mishaps, the oxigen masks fall out on me(PIA), a burnt fuse(Aeroflot), aboted landing(Swissair), and airpockets love me. Know what I fly back to England next week.

Give me the night ferry to holland, or Ireland anyday.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, i dont like flying much either, hate heights irational fear of falling i hate rollercoasters that have vertical drops cant stand em, but i love the adreniline rush of flying and the mental and physical challenge of aerobatics. But theres something about being in control of an aircraft and plastering your stomach to your spine, put it in a headlong drive straight up and kick in the rudder just at the stalll point nothing in the world like it.

Dont get me wrong i love boats and i can enjoy being at sea sometimes but ild much rather be on a ship in dry dock looking round all its little marvels, the only exception to generally avoiding ships would be to sail on an old sail ship a cutter or perhaps an old naval frigate that you sometimes see in the tall ship races, love those kinds of ships they are just so beautiful elegant in design, the engineer in me loves that kind of thing ild happily go on one of those to the far ends of the world.

Although it certainly seems like you had a fair bit of bad luck on the planes never had to use an oxygen mask, even the light aircraft they let us do aerobatics on when we go flying is pressurised(not that we go much above 4000 feet though).

Dont like ferries one bit, i have reverse sea sickness you see, its weird on the rare occasion i go on a boat if the weather is rough and the ships having a hard time of it up and down side to side you know the deal if youve crossed the channel a couple of time, im great love it in my element everyone else is sick even some of the crew me perfectly fine, yet on calm seas with hardly any motion of the sea im so sick i can barely stand in fact i collapsed in a corridor in a ferry trying to get to my cabin on the way to calais had to crawl until someone came along to help me, yet no one else was sick just me, but come the rough and tumble im lovin it, i can even go outside and walk around up and down the stairs, totally weird.

Ach well rambling, if you want to see about me to get back on topic my little bios is in the staff version of this thread.

Tiddler if youre wanting to join the navy a spell in the cadets wouldnt go amiss, youre a bit old but its a good way to get into the military life and get a head start on the more complicated parts of the service, my hardest job when i teach new cadets is the whole decorum thing and the way of behaving its much more respectful and traditional than civvie life its a bit of a shock to newbies, also nice to be proficient in drill and basic weapons handling before you join, ive trained a few folks that have since joined up and they are glad of having been a cadet first.

thnx for the advice,might give the cadets a try :tazz:

Edited by the_tiddler -=(T)=-, 09 January 2006 - 06:00 PM.