Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton won't allow access to Internet

• Please log in to reply

springbok

springbok

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently found a Norton Option panel that enabled me to select programs to be blocked from internet access (like Real etc!)
I made no changes, but after closing the panel found I couldn't connect to my own website homepage - or anything else.
I tried disabling Norton and the problem was solved - but with no protection.
I run XP and use AVG, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor, CWS, Spybot and Ewidow.
Do I need to rid myself of Norton, or is there an options section I've missed?
Until today everything has worked just fine - :tazz: would be very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)
Springbok

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
most likely the problem is that you have wayyyyy... too many antivirus programs running. Keep only 1 that you trust.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi springbok,

Stick to just 1 antivirus,,
its amazing that you havent been infected already !!!!

Running more than one antivirus at the same time will cause them both to fight each other,
thinking the other is a virus.
This will cause freeze ups and crashes and leave your computer vulnerable, to say the least.
Using adaware and spybot is fine, as they both pick up on different sorts of malicious spyware etc

I personally have norton antivirus, spybot and adaware.
I run them all once a week, and have been lucky enough to have kept a clean sheet
with no viruses. Spy bot and Adaware pick up any unwanted spyware and ads.

Avg is also one of the top antivirus solutions and very frequently matches or outdoes norton and mc caffee
in the star ratings of a lot of mags.
As you have the pick of the bunch,,, pick 1 antivirus and stick to it,, making sure to delete the other from your computer.
Norton has been known to be a little more difficult to completly remove from your system than other antivirus software so bear this in mind when you make a decision.
Untill you get this sorted, you are potentially leaving your computer open to assault from all
the nastys that you thaught you were well protected from.
good luck,,, any probs,, post again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AVG doesnt just match norton it beats it over the head with a big stick, so does avast best advice is not to use norton at all its not worth the money and if it was free it still wouldnt be worth it.

Get rid of Norton, and either use AVG or you can try avast which has all the features of the norton AV and it has an excellent real time scanner that doesnt just block traffic completely like norton does.

Basically you have been protected even when norton was off.

springbok

springbok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, and thanks for all your responses.
I have uninstalled Norton already as my faith in it was not great. AVG has been high on my list for some time and I'll continue with just that. As for the others, I don't see them as antivirus progs. CWS I run just once every few days, spy doctor blocks spyware and Ewidow checks out malware. None of those run alongside another.
As for the initial problem, I'm still baffled - but quitting Norton has solved it anyhow.
Thanks agaihn for all your help, and for your time - much appreciated. :tazz:
Springbok.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Glad to be of help.
Good luck.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ewido you should turn off it will cause a conflict you can keep it on the systm for emergency use but make sure its disabled and that AVG is disabled when you use it, And be careful what you do delete if it detects anything it might be AVG, Malware is viruses.