Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help please!

• Please log in to reply

Windowsxpuser2000

Windowsxpuser2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can someone please help me..I was using Windows M/E and decided to put my windows xp restore disk to install it on my hard drive that had m/e on it and i did it and everything seemed to install correctly until when i restart my cpu after installing and it just does nothing it freezes up can anyone please help!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can only use an XP recovery disc on the machine it was supplied with. It won't run on a different PC. I assume it must be a different PC if it had WinME on it?

Windowsxpuser2000

Windowsxpuser2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i used it on an older computer that had windows m/e on the hard drive..since i wasent suppose to do that how do i get it to work again?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Do you have a working PC with XP on it? Suppose you must have if you own a recovery cd? Anyway, to get the old PC working again your only option is to re-install ME on it if you have a proper ME install CD. You may have to boot it up with an ME startup-floppy first --- use FDISK to delete the existing partition if it's been converted to NTFS by the recovery CD (ME won't install on an NTFS partition) --- then use FDISK again to create a new primary DOS partition ---- then use FORMAT to format the new partition --- and finally, install Windows ME on it if you have a proper install CD.