Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 514c Boot problem

• Please log in to reply

Foreu2env

Foreu2env

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here's the problem, it's an HP 514c, When you hit the power button the power light flashes amber/orange 2 times then turns to black. the fans inside the case all turn on, the cd rom activity light turns on and flashes like it's checking for a cd.. the light for the floppy drive never flashes. The hard drive sounds like it spins up but then turns off. the fans go to a slower spin, almost like an idle, and it sits there and does nothing else. The monitor never gets a signal, the amber light on the monitor never flashes or changes to yellow/green. Also there are no beeps after you hit the power button.

Originally the power supply fan was dead and i figured possibly the supply was dying and only giving partial power so i replaced the powers supply w/ a part from HP. This brought no change.

I then called HP and went through some steps with them to no success.

I then replaced the entire motherboard with one supplied by HP... Still the exact same problem.

With a new power supply and motherboard... i'm really running out of ideas as to why on earth it wont boot up at all, no signal to monitor, no beeps, etc...

ANY ideas advice please let me know... i'm dyin here

Edited by Foreu2env, 06 January 2006 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I would have suspected the psu also so that was not a bad choice to change it.
Are you sure there is a case speaker connected some of the hp's I worked on did not have one, it would be helpful if it would beep that why I am checking.

Try removing all the drive connections both power and ide cables, also remove all cards, the idea here is to try and get into bios/setup, if you can then one of the components removed is the problem.

Does this computer have a video card or is it onboard?

Rick

Foreu2env

Foreu2env

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well i searched the inside and there is no visible speaker anywhere, however there is kind of a space between the front panel and the power button that may hold a speaker but i doubt it.

I disconnected all of the cables and hit the power button, same exact response...

Also i forgot to mention previously that i changed the memory w/ brand new out of the box memory and got the same result.

The vid card is onboard, thus replaced when i replaced the mobo.

thanks for the ideas... any more? With the components i've replaced its seriously come down to... the processor? is it possible it died? wow i have been fixing computers for a long time and i honestly am baffled.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea it looks as if its the cpu everthing else has been replaced, take it out and look for visible signs of burt edges or other things but it could still have died and have no visible sign

You could also take the board out of the case with minimal components installed and try and start it this would eliminate the possibility of a case short but I doubt it is that