Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Laptop turns off randomly

• Please log in to reply

Saywhat?

Saywhat?

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, it's good but recently it's been turning itself off at random times. The first time it happened I would try to turn it on again but it would turn itself off in the middle of booting and i got this "Use settings previous to failure" or "start windows normally" option. Today it just did it again while I was running a virus scan. The scan didn't finish but it got through a lot and no viruses were found. My computer's not that old either; I got it last year around February. This is my laptop's info: Satellite P35 Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz. It's a 17" laptop so it's got 2 fans. The fans have a little dust but it doesn't look terrible. I haven't changed the battery either but it gets really hot (it didn't for like the 1st month i had this laptop). It's a scary problem, help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Saywhat?

Saywhat?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I looked at the error log and i had 4 of these as errors for today:

"The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. "

I don't know if it means anything.