Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

goodmans p50 notebook

• Please log in to reply

stevedude

stevedude

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi pll i got a problem with my usb on my notebook

when i plug my mouse into the usb ports it doesnt detect anything the light on the mouse flickers when i plug i in but goes straight off again

ive tried all the installing drivers and patches but still no joy anyone else can help me plz

many thanks for trying if you do

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi stevedude

Can you tell me :

Have you checked in device manager yet? If so, is the USB controller listed in there & is it reported as working properly? (i.e with no red crosses or yellow exclaimation marks on it)

Have you tried connecting any other USB devices? Do they still work?

Do you know which chipset the laptop has? i.e Intel, SIS, Via, etc

stevedude

stevedude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah its sis and yes i tried other devices and no joy

all are working fine so it says lol but nothing detects

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
Disconnect any USB devices you may have connected, then can you go back to device manager please & find the entry(s) for USB Root Hub. Double click on USB root hub then select Power Properties.
Let me know what the Total power available per port is. If you have more than one root hub listed, then check all of them.

stevedude

stevedude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the total power available is 500mA per root hub
ps there are 4 root hubs

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. First, have you tried the mouse in any of the other USB ports?

If this doesn't help, then go back to device manager & for each of the USB Root Hub entries :
right click, select properties->power management
deselect the 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power' checkbox.

If that still doesn't help, you can download an SIS registry patch from this link :
http://www.usbman.co.....nd Tricks.htm
Scroll down the page until you get to the 'SIS USB Registry Patch (Windows XP) heading & download usbdetect.exe.
There are also instructions there for refreshing the USB stack if necessary.

I recommend you create a system restore point just prior to installing the patch, just to be on the safe side.

Let me know how you get on

stevedude

stevedude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
tried all this that you said but still nothing detected on the usb ports

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Just to eliminate the obvious....have you tried the mouse on another computer yet just to make sure that the mouse isn't the problem?

You could also try plugging a different USB device into the laptop to see if that works.

stevedude

stevedude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i tried all that and still no joy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I've had a look on Goodmans support website, although 'support' is a rather generous term as there is only one FAQ, no drivers or bios downloads & their P50 manual is a 2 page quick start guide! All in all, it was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Can you tell me....
1) Did you get the chance to try a different USB device in the laptop. If not, do you know whether the USB ports have ever worked?

2) If they used to work, then did anything change just before they stopped working? E.G installed/uninstalled any hardware or software or service packs etc

3) Do you have any service packs installed for XP?

stevedude

stevedude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no usb devices work

nothing changed cause they aint worked

and service pak 2 on xp i have

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I have a couple more suggestions :

1. If you know how to get into the bios (usually by pressing one of the following keys when you first power the system on : DEL, F1, F2, F10, but as this is a Goodmans, it could be anything). If you can get in, have a look for any settings that relate to USB. If you see any, let me know what each setting is & what it's currently set to.

2. If the laptop is still under warranty, you may want to consider returning it.

stevedude

stevedude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ive been in the bios and there are no settings at all for usb

also the warranty is up :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you go back to device manager & expand the USB Controller branch. Apart from the root hubs, you should have one or more USB Host Controller entries listed.
Let me know exactly how they are worded.

Next, double click on one of the host controller entries to open properties. Select the driver tab & look under driver details. There should be a few file names listed there. Let me know which ones you see.

If you have multiple host controllers & they are not all identical, then repeat the above instruction for the others as well.

While you're in device manager, double click on the USB Host controller, select the Advanced tab & tick the 'Disable USB error detection' box. Repeat for each host controller present.