Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floppy

• Please log in to reply

Shadow88x

Shadow88x

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a new amd 3200 and an asus MB A8N-SLI Premium.
The floppy is only recognized in the O/S but not in the bios and always gives me an error when I load up that floppy error 40. In the O/S I cant use floppies because it says to insert one.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The floppy cable is not connected properly the red stripe on the cable needs to be on pin 1 of the floppy and the motherboard.

Rick

Shadow88x

Shadow88x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I know that bro. It is all set-up right. The light stays on when I do what I said above. I made sure and rebooted and now my drive light doesnt turn on and my computer freezes and bios loading screen. To get my computer to load I have to unplug 1 CD-Rom drive. but it still does recognize the drive and no light comes on. In device manager the drive doesnt even apear.

Shadow88x

Shadow88x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
im me
it will be faster

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Maybe the drive is just bad or the cable, its either one of those or the controller on the mobo.

If you are sure it ain't either the cable or the drive then

You could try disabling floppy seek in bios, this will disable the floppy but at least you will be able to boot without the error

Shadow88x

Shadow88x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks, ill try to get this FDD replaced to narrow the problem down.