Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security Problem

• Please log in to reply

jdblue23

jdblue23

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just started experiencing a problem with going to any secure sites, such as email or my internet banking. I've tried changing the security settings on Internet Explorer 6, scanning for syware, and used the WinsockXPfix, but I am unable to figure out where the source of the problem is coming from..

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
is this only for IE6? Have you tried any other browsers?

Also try cleaning out your temporary internet files and cookies.

On the pages that are blank, hold down ctrl and presh refresh so it refreshes your internet cache.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jdblue23...

Try deleting your cookies and temporary internet files. From Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the toolbar and select "Internet Options". Under the "General" tab, in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click on the button to "Delete Cookies" and then the "Delete Files" button. Click "Apply" then "Ok".

Reboot and try to access the problem sites.

wannabe1

jdblue23

jdblue23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have deleted the temporary internet files and cookies, tried viewing the pages through Mozilla Firefox, and tried the Ctrl + refresh, but nothing is successful.. I appreciate the fast responses thou

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What Firewall are you using? Are your ActiveX and Java applications up to date?

wannabe1

jdblue23

jdblue23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am just using the built-in windows firewall and I believe activeX and java is up to date

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just for the sake of troubleshooting, try turning the Firewall off and try one of the sites. Turn the firewall back on after trying and let me know if you are able to access the site.

wannabe1

jdblue23

jdblue23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I turned it off and tried, but still nothing