Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

litman4308

litman4308

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last week my DvD- Rom drive broke down so I bought a new one off of new-egg that had good reviews. I installed it fairly easily, putting in the IDE cable, the power, and setting it to master just like my broken drive was. Booted it up and got a boot error. Went into my BIOS and it shows the new CD drive under the Secondary IDE Master, with the new name and model perfectly. The drive itself opens and closes just fine. I did a bit of looking around and it seems to be that the hard drive isn't being read or is broken. I'm not sure what to do, if I need to replace the HD or somehow fix a connection or change a bootup setting. The HD is connected with a thinner wire connection directly to the motherboard (orange if that means anything) and hooked up to the power supply (I noticed the power supply wasn't connected the second time I opened it up, but even connecting it doesn't seem to help).

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It seems your computer is not finding the hardrive to boot from, the thin wirer you speak of is a sata cable it tranfers data to and from the motherboard like a ide cable. Reseat the sata cable both at the drive and the board you may have loosened it when in stalling the new drive.

other than this I don't see how installing a dvd would have hurt the hardrive in anyway but you could have also disturbed the sata cable and it somehow broke so you might want to try a new cable if reseating it don't work.

Rick

litman4308

litman4308

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm well it seems to be connected, just in case I took the whole thing out and put it back together, still no go. The HDD light does turn on just as I turn on the computer. Is there a way through BIOS that I can find data on the HD, or somehow force it to detect it before asking me for a boot disc? When I go to boot options it only lists the CD drive, A: drive, and network boot, but no option for harddrive boot.

litman4308

litman4308

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I figured it out. I guess the factory defaults for the BIOS disable SATA so I had to manually re-enable it and it worked perfectly. Phew, wish I figured that out about 5 hours ago.