Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MPC files

• Please log in to reply

Stripes

Stripes

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've never heard of these .mpc files before, and I've tried different programs to run them with no luck. What is a simple way to open these files, or to convert them to a simple format?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
tool me 5 seconds on google to find the answer.

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
What?

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
"Took you", sorry. Well, I didn't have as much luck, apparently. I'm glad it's a simple answer then. Care to drop a few clues on the way?

I've got foobar2000 because someone said that would play them, and all of the files have this "musepack" thing by them, but I can't figure that out because it doesn't seem to be any single program I could run, it looks like I'd need to coordinate some things and I can't see what I'm supposed to do.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The things that came up from a goodle search of .mpc are:

http://club.cdfreaks...ad.php?t=103521

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/103535

And the mpc file is from these people.
http://www.musepack.net/

All this information was in the top 3 search results from .mpc so its not exactly well hidden information.

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've got a transcoder now. I'm happy I've got it. That's about as much progress as I made from those links, sorry. The files won't be cut, copied, or pasted, for some reason. So I can't use the transcoder yet anyway, which is just as well because I don't want to lose the files in their original format.

How does this all work? Do I need just the encoder and decoder, or is there a base program those two work with, or what? Nothing is really clear. Even if the files are all there, I can't tell their function or which ones I need, and then there's the matter of what I do with them. I appreciate your help, thanks. Making some progress at least.

Stripes

Stripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hei, Scot. The *nice* people at musepack figured out what the problem was. You don't have to worry about this anymore. Just pretend you did your job and close the thread. buh-bye. ^0^ <3

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you ask daft questions, not like we get paid for this.

Admiral Justin

Admiral Justin

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Personally, I just use foobar2000, it supports a ton of file formats out of the box.

Musepack takes some of the best stuff from mp3 and aac and tosses in some of it's own stuff, making for a very nice quality sound.

If you normally have you mp3's at 192 and higher, you might actually consider using musepack, as it compresses well (slightly higher size) but with a big improvement in quality.