Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade 98 to ME

• Please log in to reply

chowdown

chowdown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My older pc (Win 98 first ed) is still fine for browsing and lite work, but I'm getting more blue screens, often saying there's problems with Explorer.exe, and occasional failure to completely shut down. I'm current on virus protection, and I scan for adware and spyware periodically. I'm thinking an op system upgrade will improve things.

I read the post about upgrading to XP, so I guess that's not for me. What about Win ME? Will I get better stability?

The PC was a Dell prebuilt system, no hardware added or upgraded. I compared the Win ME Hardware Compatbility List against my devices; not every one was there exactly, but is there a big risk in trying ME? (Sorry I don't have my full specs posted yet).

Appreciate any input...

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you are looking for stability, WinME is NOT the way to go !!! If anything, move up to Win98SE!!!!

In the meantime, have you tried running the System File Checker (Start>Run and type in sfc) and let it run to repair any missing or corrupted files??

Murray

chowdown

chowdown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Murray.

I haven't tried SFC yet. The last time I tried that, it prompted me to fix a whole bunch of files. I trusted it and got bit; had to reinstall the whole system. If you have any undocumented wisdom about SFC I'm all ears!

98SE? No, hadn't considerd that. I merely assumed that ME would be better because it was newer. I'll search the forum for a comparison, but if you can sum up why SE is better I'll appreciate it.

chowdown

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
ME has a well documented memory leak which basically means when you load a program up, use it a while and then shut it down, the memory that that program was using isn't always given back to Windows ME.

Therefore eventually the system runs out of memory and just either hangs, does strange things or just throws up messages. Either way, a restart is needed.

On the plus side of ME, I'm currently running it on a Pentium 166 computer which was brand new and top of the range in the summer of 1996, and ME runs far better on it than Windows 98SE.

chowdown

chowdown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you Neil! Sorry for the delay in replying, other issues in my life.

Question: is there any difference in the USB support provided between 98SE and ME?

Also, is it better to get an upgrade copy, or a full install version (assuming that I'm willing to reformat the HD etc) to go beyond my 98 1st ed?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
A full install is always the best way to go!!

That being said, as long as you have your Win98 cd, you can use an upgrade install cd to do a clean install as well..

Murray

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I preffer 98SE, but think 2000 pro is very stable, auto USB support, small installation, good for gaming etc