Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power for ASUS Geforce 6800XT

• Please log in to reply

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Does anyone know the amount of watts your power supply needs to be for a ASUS Geforce 6800XT, i have a 350W and its crashes when i try to run battlefield2. But vietnam and other games work for it. Smartdoctor also says there are no problmes with the card. I want to know if that is the problem. THanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Perhaps a better way to look at this is to as is my 350 watt power supply adequate for my system, especially when playing graphics intensive games? Take a look at the sticky posts at the top of this forum:
http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93 They will help you figure it out. Pay particular attention to the last 4 stickies.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
so basically i need a new power supply... what would you recomend?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
No, I didn't say that. Check out those sticky posts I told you about. There are calculators that you can use to check your current systems power requirements. This is a way for you to figure it out. Keep in mind your power supply may be one of those identified on one of the sticky post as being among those that over state the power supply output based on how they define "ideal circumstances", in which case you need to deduct 30 percent from the stated output to determine the real output. Those stickies helped me figure out that my 420 watt Raidmax power supply was in reality 294 watts, and I needed 370 watts for my system. I gave you links to help you figure out your situation. You may or may not need a new power supply. If you do, the link has some solid recommendations! Check it out. This is the best collection of information about power supplies that I have found.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
okay i did the calculations and it says that 294.6 is my total amount of watts needed? That doesnt seem to make sense though... also i checked the power for the card, and it didnt have my card, so i looked at the step about it and it said that it needed to be recieving 55.39 watts... which i calculated in to the total.

Edited by Favs, 07 January 2006 - 12:05 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, now go to the sticky that says "before making a post about a a power supply... " and see if your is on the list of less than desireable, ie like my Raidmax was. If it is, your 350 watt power supply is 350 x .70 (this equates to deduct 30 percent) which is 245 watts, not quite enough hey?

Edited by austin_o, 07 January 2006 - 12:14 PM.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
yeah mine is in the list of companies that suck.... chalk that up for a waste of 50 bucks. So now i should buy from that list of better PSU. Hey also is too much power ever a bad thing... it should just leave room to update in the future right? Also what does pfc stand for... should i get active or nonactive?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You cant get too much power at all from a powersupply. The powersupply only delivers to what you have inside of your pc.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
can i use two psu one for the video card and one for everything else?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Please try and stick to one thread if you are asking questions related to it.