Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer build problem

• Please log in to reply

Abram23

Abram23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,
I recently upgraded my pc and installed windows xp and downloaded all of the newest drivers and service pack etc. but have had problems with crashing in games. I think the problem may be the video card because the crashing only happens in graphic intensive games, but I must be sure before I send it in to be replaced. If anyone knows of some good way to test each component (GPU, RAM, processor etc.) with perhaps some kind of benchmarking program that would be very helpful. Below is a list of the exact links to new egg where I purchased all the parts. The rest of the components I just used from my old computer.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103562
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817104155
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131524
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150124
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227210
Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hey, whats your power supply wattage?

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
520 watts

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I ain't totally up to speed on the dual core cpu's yet but I do know there are alot of problems with them when running games so check this out
After doing some research I am not sure you have a hardware problem

Rick

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have applied all of the fixes from the link that you forwarded me but with no result. Far cry and Fear still freeze when playing. In Fear the game freezes instantly and the sound keeps on going with the screen either going to a blank screen, and sometimes even cutting signal to the monitor, or it just freezes on an image. Either way the pc has to be reset and ctrl+Alt=del does nothing after a freeze. The temp in the case never goes above 40C and there are no artifacts in either graphics card demos or in Far Cry which will run for about a minute before freezing. Even older games like Gothic 2 have frozen, although they seem to run a lot longer before doing so. I downloaded 3d mark and pc mark and will try those and post my results. Please help! I am at a complete loss.
Thanks,
Andy

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just "ran" 3d mark and the results are as follows: Instantaneous Crash and restart.

Then I ran pc mark and the results are as follows: The program froze on the load screen twice promting manual restarts.

However, Minesweeper works for which I am Grateful.

Andy :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im thinking its temps or voltages of the top of my head but without knowingthe hardware its hard to tell, did you get system montioring software with youre mobo, could you also just tell us what the hardware is we dont need to see the newegg links they dont do anything for us other than take time to load a half dozen pages. i cant get them to work either.

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
My specs are: AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+, OCZ Modstream ATX 520 Watt power supply, Asus A8N-SLI socket 939 Nvidia nforce 4 AMD motherboard, XFX Geforce 7800GT, OCZ (2X 1Gb) 184 pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Plattinum system memory. If you would like for me to list the rest of the components please ask, however they are older and unless you think it is a factor I will not list them out of convenience. I recently got 3D mark to work and it is still testing. (I will post the results when finished) Also, I have been looking at the Asus PC probe that is monitoring the temps and voltage during the 3D mark and I will report that as well when I get the results. I will also try the pc mark again and maybe it will work this time. More on that later,
Andy

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
After 3d mark finished the final score was 7138 which I think is pretty accurate with what it should be. Also, I kept track of the heat and voltage during the test and it never really went over 40C and the voltage stayed constant within its limits. The PC mark still would not start. I thought to try some sort of Memory testing software, so if you know af anything worth while please post a link. Thank you again for your time and consideration. Without you I would have gotten nowhere.
Andy

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Good idea, try Memtest86

Advertisements

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have just finished using memtest86 on my pc and found no problems with the memory. After four full runs there were no problems. If anyone has any ideas on what to do next I would be very grateful.
Andy

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Download prime95 and run its torture test, prime will test the cpu,ram,psu,mobo and heat. Prime has no way of telling witch component is bad but helps to narrow it down, we aleady are resonably sure it ain't ram or heat

Prime does not test the video card so I am thinking if you can run prime for 12 hours or longer then that would point to the video card.

Please list the 3.3V, 5V and 12V when running prime

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I ran prime95 for 25 hours and 46 minutes and there were no errors and no warnings. The voltage and heat never went over normal parimeters. So, can I make any assumptions on the video card being the source of the problem? It did run 3d mark without error. Any suggestions would be great.
Andy

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your hardware seems to be fine with running prime for that amount of time and 3d mark also suggest it ain't the video card.

I am uncertain because of the new dual cores and there setup, I would play around with the video card drivers, maybe a older or even beta version if avalible.

I would also try drivercleaner and remove any drivers relating to video then again try the latest drivers. I recommend this because when you updated the drivers for the card maybe they did not install correctly, worth a shot.

Rick

Abram23

Abram23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Rather than try to roll back the drivers and use driver cleaner, I instead am just upgrading to windows xp 64 tonight. I had ordered it a while ago and was going to try it out. This way I can reinstall the drivers anyway and I was planning on writing my hard drive to zeros and formatting from scratch. After all this is complete I will write back with news of changes if any.
Thanks,
Andy